Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What exactly is the difference between bisexuality and pansexuality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As above.

ReputationRep:
    I've never really understood the difference either, but I think it has to do with a belief in there being more than two genders.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm bisexual and I always thought pansexuality was based on a belief of there being more than two genders and being attracted to ''all genders'' as opposed to male + female.

If Facebook can come up with 56 genders I'm sure pansexuals can lmao.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bisexual and have discussed this idea in a previous thread. Some pansexuals claim that bisexuality excludes attraction to transgender people, though I reject this as I don't see transgender people as being some kind of third gender. It may also refer to gender blindness so you are attracted purely to personality as opposed to bodies. Either way I don't think it's a valuable distinction to make at this time, as many non-queer people struggle with the idea of the existence of bisexuality in the first place. Pansexuality only complicates the matter further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Yeah I'm bisexual and I always thought pansexuality was based on a belief of there being more than two genders and being attracted to ''all genders'' as opposed to male + female.

If Facebook can come up with 56 genders I'm sure pansexuals can lmao.

(Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    I'm bisexual and have discussed this idea in a previous thread. Some pansexuals claim that bisexuality excludes attraction to transgender people, though I reject this as I don't see transgender people as being some kind of third gender. It may also refer to gender blindness so you are attracted purely to personality as opposed to bodies. Either way I don't think it's a valuable distinction to make at this time, as many non-queer people struggle with the idea of the existence of bisexuality in the first place. Pansexuality only complicates the matter further.
    This is what confuses and irritates me about the 'distinction'.

ReputationRep:
    They seem to amount to the same thing in most cases but, from what I gather, the difference is that bisexuals are attracted to two (or more) genders whereas pansexuals are just attracted to people, regardless of gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    I've never really understood the difference either, but I think it has to do with a belief in there being more than two genders.
    Yeah, the fact that "pan" (all) is not considered the same as "bi" (two) implies that the total number of sexualities is some number above 2.

ReputationRep:
    The VAST majority of bissexuals I have talked to or met (outside of tumblr, whose education on gender is that of a 2 year old) declare it as sexual interest to both males and females, the two most common genders.

Pansexuality seems to be defined as attraction irrelevant to gender, and so bisexuality is a subset of pansexuality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bisexual and for me that means I'm attracted to men and women. I think this website is great for definitions.

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...m-definitions/

I don't mean to be offensive but it seems to me like "I'm pansexual" is just a way of saying "I'm bisexual" but then hoping that someone will give you the opportunity to clarify.

ReputationRep:
    There are only two genders ffs. You're either one or the other, or neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamKeene)
    The VAST majority of bissexuals I have talked to or met (outside of tumblr, whose education on gender is that of a 2 year old) declare it as sexual interest to both males and females, the two most common genders.

Pansexuality seems to be defined as attraction irrelevant to gender, and so bisexuality is a subset of pansexuality.
    How many genders are there? if there are only two then bisexuality covers your definition of pansexuality entirely and thus the concept is redundant.

EDIT: According to the World Health Organisation, I am talking about sex not gender :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    So apparently pansexuals are attracted to someone regardless of gender. In my mind there are two genders and it makes sense to therefore describe yourself instead as bisexual; to use pansexual seems to be maladaptive and hipster. What am I missing here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    So apparently pansexuals are attracted to someone regardless of gender. In my mind there are two genders and it makes sense to therefore describe yourself instead as bisexual; to use pansexual seems to be maladaptive and hipster. What am I missing here?
    Two explanations that I've heard for using pan:
    Bi can be seen as trans (etc) exclusive.
    The person doesn't believe there are only two genders(as bi Implies), or does not see gender.

(I'm not an expert on this, so sorry if any of the information is inaccurate etc!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm bisexual and I define it as being attracted to cisgender males and females. Pansexuals are attracted to gender queer folk too

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.