Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This week my Nan (who I live with when not at uni) fell ill and had to be put into intensive care in hospital.
    She is now stable and awake which obviously I am thankful for.

She did have a major surgery which means when they release her she will need full time care, therefore I am considering leaving uni to do this.

Has anybody done this before? I don't know how I'm going to pay the rest of my rent on my house or pay back student finance!!
    It's a big sacrifice but I have to do it but need a little guidance!!

I do have a meeting with my head of year on Monday to discuss my options but just wondered if anyone else could give me any advice!

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Is there really nobody else who can do it? I know this sounds callous but it's not your duty to care for your nan if you have parents who can do it. The young giving up their futures for the old just doesnt make sense any way you look at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Is there really nobody else who can do it? I know this sounds callous but it's not your duty to care for your nan if you have parents who can do it. The young giving up their futures for the old just doesnt make sense any way you look at it.
    There is no one else who can do it, and I am more than happy to do it. I'm only 20, I have all the time in the world to go back and finish my degree.
    You may not think it is my duty but my nan sacrificed everything for me so I feel I should help her when she needs me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Social services should be able to support you so maybe you could just take time out from your degree rather than leaving?

I'm sure your nan would not want you to stop your studies for her so do look for a solution that works for both of you.

I had a similare situation so do know how difficult these decisions are ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Social services should be able to support you so maybe you could just take time out from your degree rather than leaving?

I'm sure your nan would not want you to stop your studies for her so do look for a solution that works for both of you.

I had a similare situation so do know how difficult these decisions are ...
    That's what I was hoping, that I could just have a year out or something and then finish.

She doesn't want me to leave my studies, but that's because she hates feeling like a burden to others.
    I know that she could have someone come and see to her but she's a stubborn woman who isn't comfortable with strangers and I know she'd rather it was me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do understand about 'strangers' but they will usually send the same person every day so they get used to them. Have the meeting tomorrow and see what the options are.

The hospital will be able to liaise with social services to ensure your nan (and you) get the support needed.

Don't make quick decisions that you will regret.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you have to put yourself first. It seems a shame to give up your education. If you ended up not returning to uni, it would seem a waste.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by ebduff)
    You need to think things through in detail. University might be sympathetic academically, but if you are in rented accommodation your landlord won't be. And how long will you need to be with your grandmother for her recuperation? If it is something like 6 weeks, that's not long time to put in some interim service rather than give up a year at Uni.

You should speak to Uni, speak to the hospital, speak to Social Services and speak to Age Concern etc to see if you can put in place say weekday help from other services and then you travel back Friday to Sunday or similar. In other words, try and keep your Uni studies going in parallel with looking after your grandmother. Uni might have a hardship fund to help with travel costs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You need to think things through in detail. University might be sympathetic academically, but if you are in rented accommodation your landlord won't be. And how long will you need to be with your grandmother for her recuperation? If it is something like 6 weeks, that's not long time to put in some interim service rather than give up a year at Uni.

You should speak to Uni, speak to the hospital, speak to Social Services and speak to Age Concern etc to see if you can put in place say weekday help from other services and then you travel back Friday to Sunday or similar. In other words, try and keep your Uni studies going in parallel with looking after your grandmother. Uni might have a hardship fund to help with travel costs etc.
    It's going to be a few months at least until she can look after herself again and even then she'll struggle, it was major surgery.
    I understand about my landlord and will continue to pay my rent, I'm not worried about that
    I will speak to people and see what support we can get though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluffylittlecat)
    Sometimes you have to put yourself first. It seems a shame to give up your education. If you ended up not returning to uni, it would seem a waste.
    As much as I agree, sometimes you have to think of others first, she is my number one in my life, she is both my parents rolled into one as I don't have my parents anymore, so I wouldn't regret it. Like I said, I'm only 20, I have all the time in the world to go back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.