The Student Room Group

Whats it like working at the Co Operative Food?

Hi All

As per the title, I am considering applying for a weekend only job at my local Coop Food as a customer service assitant, whats it like working for them?

Any advice would be gratefull :biggrin:

I was wondering because I'm 15 and emailed the coop recruitment and they said to me that I can apply and see what happens as It is a weekend only job so long as it dosen't interfere with my education, but they normally only employ 16 and above.

All advice gratefull

Hiya
I've been working at my local Co-Op since last year, and I started at age 17. One thing I would say is that you will likely just end up being stuck on till a lot of the time especially if you are new as you won't know where things go or won't have the speed or efficiency to put out the delivery stock.
This is fine, however: As you are under 18, every single time someone wants to buy alcohol, cigarettes, lotto, even paracetamol, you will have to call a supervisor over to enter their code and authorise you. This happens a lot and can be INCREDIBLY frustrating, especially if you keep calling for someone and no one comes, you have a huge queue of people getting angry and there is literally nothing you can do. Thankfully, I'm now 18 and can authorise myself but at 15 this will be annoying for a very long time!

Although having said this, your local co op may have more sense than mine and not keep putting underage people on the checkouts! Who knows! :P

Other than this, and a few problems with being put in for too many hours my co op experience has been really nice, and my store has really friendly staff - it's a great community.

Another thing to consider is the pay: some supermarkets, including Waitrose I think get extra pay (pay-and-a-half, I believe) for working Sundays. We don't get this benefit, and I work every Sunday. But I'm fine with it, the pay is decent anyway so I just try and ignore my Waitrose friends :wink:

Hope this has been some help, my co-op certainly doesnt seem to mind hiring people that are under 18, 15 I don't know but even so it's worth a try! If not you can just wait.
Reply 2
Original post by courtneykay
Hiya
I've been working at my local Co-Op since last year, and I started at age 17. One thing I would say is that you will likely just end up being stuck on till a lot of the time especially if you are new as you won't know where things go or won't have the speed or efficiency to put out the delivery stock.
This is fine, however: As you are under 18, every single time someone wants to buy alcohol, cigarettes, lotto, even paracetamol, you will have to call a supervisor over to enter their code and authorise you. This happens a lot and can be INCREDIBLY frustrating, especially if you keep calling for someone and no one comes, you have a huge queue of people getting angry and there is literally nothing you can do. Thankfully, I'm now 18 and can authorise myself but at 15 this will be annoying for a very long time!

Although having said this, your local co op may have more sense than mine and not keep putting underage people on the checkouts! Who knows! :P

Other than this, and a few problems with being put in for too many hours my co op experience has been really nice, and my store has really friendly staff - it's a great community.

Another thing to consider is the pay: some supermarkets, including Waitrose I think get extra pay (pay-and-a-half, I believe) for working Sundays. We don't get this benefit, and I work every Sunday. But I'm fine with it, the pay is decent anyway so I just try and ignore my Waitrose friends :wink:

Hope this has been some help, my co-op certainly doesnt seem to mind hiring people that are under 18, 15 I don't know but even so it's worth a try! If not you can just wait.

Thanks for that advice :smile: I am still open to all answers.

King regards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending