Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can explain toe, what a mature student is & if they are assessed differently to other students?

ReputationRep:
    You can be classed as a mature student from 19+ when studying with local college etc (min age to start access course), I'm doing access and the youngest on'course is 24, from 24+ you can get some advanced learning loan that's written off if you enter higher education.

I'm not sure how you mean differently assessed? In examinations/course work, then no. If you're talking about how universities view mature applicants, then from what I gather they quite like them, as mature applicants generally want to learn and are self-motivated.

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied for university in September & I'll be 22 by then. Do mature students have more chance of getting in then other students?

I've seen so much about mature students so just wanted a bit of background information

ReputationRep:
    You can't really judge someone by their age, by default being mature does not make you mature, nor does it mean that you have had any 'life experience'. My advice, although we're long past the deadline, is make sure your personal statement is personal, I put more about who I am than listing relevant facts or statistics about the field in which I want to study,

I sent off UCAS a week last friday, I've had one offer, waiting on the rest, but I'm not expecting them all back in the next fortnight.

ReputationRep:
    Where have you applied for? & what course

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow, York, Swansea, UEA, Sussex, got offer from Glasgow, Genetics at all except Molecular Bio + Genetics at UEA.

You're nursing?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.