Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What OCDs do you have? watch

I recently had this conversation with a friend and found out we had so many in common. I thought I was the only one with so many OCDs.

For that reason, what are some of your OCDs? Mine are in the spoiler

Spoiler:
    Show

• When walking on surfaces that have tiles, I can't walk on the gaps and have to make sure my feet are fully on top of a single tile.
    • (Occasionally) If I breathe out looking in one direction, I have to breathe in the same direction and can only move my head when I breathe in.
    • I absolutely can't have the volume on the TV on an uneven number unless it's a multiple of 5. So if the volume is on 71, I have to either put it up to 72 or 70.
    • When walking up or down the stairs and something lies on one of the steps, I always have to have to walk past the item using the foot that is further away from the item. e.g. if there is a bag to the left of me, I have to walk past it using the right foot on that step.
    • When tapping on the wall or somewhere trying to recreate a musical pattern, I have to do it 4 times perfectly before I can stop doing it
    • I absolutely can't touch something with a finger and then let go of it. I always have to kinda 'wipe it off' with my hand or something (as if I'm trying to remove my fingerprints)
    • While walking short distances (e.g. walking to the kitchen) I have to have the same number of steps with both feet.
    • When i touch someone's bare feet, I have to have to wash my hands or 'wipe it off'.
    • I can't walk bare feet on smooth surfaces at all without 'wiping off ' the footprints with a cloth or after wearing socks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I recently had this conversation with a friend and found out we had so many in common. I thought I was the only one with so many OCDs.

For that reason, what are some of your OCDs? Mine are in the spoiler

• When walking on surfaces that have tiles, I can't walk on the gaps and have to make sure my feet are fully on top of a single tile.
    • (Occasionally) If I breathe out looking in one direction, I have to breathe in the same direction and can only move my head when I breathe in.
    • I absolutely can't have the volume on the TV on an uneven number unless it's a multiple of 5. So if the volume is on 71, I have to either put it up to 72 or 70.
    • When walking up or down the stairs and something lies on one of the steps, I always have to have to walk past the item using the foot that is further away from the item. e.g. if there is a bag to the left of me, I have to walk past it using the right foot on that step.
    • When tapping on the wall or somewhere trying to recreate a musical pattern, I have to do it 4 times perfectly before I can stop doing it
    • I absolutely can't touch something with a finger and then let go of it. I always have to kinda 'wipe it off' with my hand or something (as if I'm trying to remove my fingerprints)
    • While walking short distances (e.g. walking to the kitchen) I have to have the same number of steps with both feet.
    • When i touch someone's bare feet, I have to have to wash my hands or 'wipe it off'.
    • I can't walk bare feet on smooth surfaces at all without 'wiping off ' the footprints with a cloth or after wearing socks.

Wow the ones in bold are what I suffer from. The thing about touching something or someone's feet (which I would try and avoid at all costs anyway) applies to most things. If I shake someone's hand it's on my mind until I can wash it (if I can). I'm not at the point where I carry wipes around like Monk but I do have hand sanitizer gel in my car and at home.

As for the volume on the TV, it has to end on either 5 or 0, even if 23 would be the perfect volume.

Also if I set the volume on my laptop (with the keyboard) I press the volume up button in intervals of 5

ReputationRep:
    I have to do the robot every time before I enter a room.

ReputationRep:
    PSA: you can't "have OCDs". You can't possess multiple discrete obsessive compulsive disorder"s". This post is ridiculous, offensive and trivialises the experiences of genuine sufferers who struggle just to function day-to-day. Go and educate yourself, please. If you think you actually do suffer from the disorder, go and see a doctor rather than making posts on TSR that seem to scream ignorance and callousness.

(Original post by mediocrely)
    PSA: you can't "have OCDs". You can't possess multiple discrete obsessive compulsive disorder"s". This post is ridiculous, offensive and trivialises the experiences of genuine sufferers who struggle just to function day-to-day. Go and educate yourself, please. If you think you actually do suffer from the disorder, go and see a doctor rather than making posts on TSR that seem to scream ignorance and callousness.
    How do you know I don't struggle day to day? Also, please look up the definition of OCDs before talking your nonsense over here. You have never even seen me and are making that I do not suffer under my OCDs.

Also, please do us all a favour and just go somewhere else with your nonsense that you can't have more than one obsessive compulsive disorder.

For me, I think it's more OCPD:

I have to wash my hands regularly.

I have to have my stationery on my desk completely aligned horizontally and vertically.

I don't like it when I see a box of pizza with uneven slices

Uneven hoodie strings too

My food can't be touching with each other.

These are just some examples. I mean I wouldn't call myself an OCD because although I can't bear it, I know my life still goes on if something disorderly happens

ReputationRep:
    How do you know I don't struggle day to day? Also, please look up the definition of OCDs before talking your nonsense over here. You have never even seen me and are making that I do not suffer under my OCDs.

Also, please do us all a favour and just go somewhere else with your nonsense that you can't have more than one obsessive compulsive disorder.
    Well, you have used the phrase "What are some of your OCD's", and then listing obsessive behaviours, not disorders.

I believe this is what the poster was trying to literate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Stickman)
    For me, I think it's more OCPD:
    What exactly is the difference between OCPD and OCD? I know that the P is personality, right?

I have to wash my hands regularly.
    Same. it's not quite an OCD thing though. It's more of a sensory thing. It's not so much needing to have clean hands - I just can't stand having certain textures (ie, food) on my hands.

From what I gather it's just some personality traits that become repetitive as you grow up. I grew out of the fact that I couldn't take off my shoes indoors (thankfully!) But these things remained.

Yeah I guess it's different for different people. My case of washing hands is that even psychologically if I think they are dirty I just have to do it for my mind's sake even if I haven't eaten anything.
    (Original post by OU Student)
    What exactly is the difference between OCPD and OCD? I know that the P is personality, right?

Same. it's not quite an OCD thing though. It's more of a sensory thing. It's not so much needing to have clean hands - I just can't stand having certain textures (ie, food) on my hands.

ReputationRep:
    Handling raw chicken. :afraid:

I'm not sure if it counts but I cannot handle raw chicken. I've tried and actually had panic attacks just looking at a chicken and trying to force myself to touch it.

I also dislike the tv volume being on an odd number but I'm mostly better with that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)
    Well, you have used the phrase "What are some of your OCD's", and then listing obsessive behaviours, not disorders.

I believe this is what the poster was trying to literate.
    Yeah, this. I've reread my post, and I realise that I phrased it a little harshly in the flurries of disgruntlement. But yeah, this was what I was trying to get across. The OP may genuinely have obsessive-compulsive disorder, but their post just seemed to misunderstand the condition in such a way that helps enable the perpetuation of harmfully inaccurate popular perceptions of OCD.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Handling raw chicken. :afraid:

I'm not sure if it counts but I cannot handle raw chicken. I've tried and actually had panic attacks just looking at a chicken and trying to force myself to touch it.
    Might be classed as more of a phobia / fear?

ReputationRep:
    I used to have loads of 'OCD like' behaviours when I was little. Grown out of most of them now, but when I'm stressed or tired I need to do things symmetrically - so if I touch something with my left hand I need to do it with my right hand as well. or if someones pats me on the shoulder I have to tap my other shoulder to 'even it out'.

DISCLAIMER: I do not actually have OCD and obviously don't want to belittle those that do by comparing experiences, just sharing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Might be classed as more of a phobia / fear?
    Yeah that probably better describes it.

ReputationRep:
    Lets just say that even when I'm dumping some garbage in the bin, I make sure its done neatly and looks neat. Something like aesthetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediocrely)
    Couldn't agree more.

ReputationRep:
    I would call them more "regular ritualistic behaviours" rather than "OCDs" but to be honest I think everyone knows what is meant, so it's okay.

[*] I absolutely can't touch something with a finger and then let go of it. I always have to kinda 'wipe it off' with my hand or something (as if I'm trying to remove my fingerprints)
    I do this. Never realised other people did it too lol. If someone else touches me (for example if my partner strokes my leg or something) in the "wrong" direction I have to just brush in the other direction in my hand to equal it out.

It's nothing that really gets to me or anything. Sometimes I will get random feelings that I need to touch something in a certain way (or a certain number of times) but if I can't do it, it will never ruin my day - and I don't think anything bad will happen. So I 100% understand that this is NOT OCD.

ReputationRep:
    I hate seeing clothes on my bed I have to fold them and put them away, I have to eat something in an even number (so like 6 or 8 slices of pizza) and whenever I leave the house I stand outside for 10 mins to make sure I've locked it properly

ReputationRep:
    I have to brush my teeth for 30 minutes and I have to check the door 3 times.

ReputationRep:
    Loads really
    1) Can't have volume at anything other than 10s e.g. 10, 20, 30
    2) Have to tap switches and doors and gates usually in multiples of 3
    3) Only use certain pens, and plates and knives/forks/spoons/cups
    4) Don't like to throw certain things away or rearranging my room
    5) Must type certain letters with each hand
    6) Sometimes rewrite over words until it feels right
    7) Do not read negative words in books and skip over them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.