The Student Room Group

Partitions

This is probably me being a bit stupid and not noticing why, but I'm really stuck on this partition question from analysis... I understand the technique it's just the values that are correct - I'm not sure why?

f(x):[1,1]Rf(x) : [-1,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} defined by

Unparseable latex formula:

f(x) = \begin{Bmatrix} 2, x \in [-1,0)\\-1,]

Pn=1,1n,1n,1 P_n = {-1, \frac{-1}{n} , \frac{1}{n} ,1}

When working out the m1andM1 m_1 and M_1 values, these are the answers...

m1=inf(f(x):x[1,1n])=2[br]m2=inf(f(x):x[1n,1n])=1[br]m3=inf(f(x):x[1n,1])=1 m_1 = inf ({f(x) :x \in [-1,\frac{-1}{n}]}) = 2[br]m_2 = inf ({f(x) : x \in [\frac{-1}{n},\frac{1}{n}]}) = -1 [br]m_3 = inf ({f(x) : x \in [\frac{1}{n},1]}) = 1

M1=sup(f(x):x[1,1n])=2[br]M2=sup(f(x):x[1n,1n])=2[br]M3=sup(f(x):x[1n,1])=1M_1 = sup ({f(x) :x \in [-1,\frac{-1}{n}]}) = 2[br]M_2 = sup ({f(x) : x \in [\frac{-1}{n},\frac{1}{n}]}) = 2[br]M_3 = sup ({f(x) : x \in [\frac{1}{n},1]}) = 1

It's just these values I can't get my head around, I don't understand for example why m2m_2 is -1 instead of 2? I was thinking the infimum of [1n,1][\frac{-1}{n},1] would be -1?

Thanks for any help!

(Apologies for the terrible latex attempt... :rolleyes:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blue7195

It's just these values I can't get my head around, I don't understand for example why m2m_2 is -1 instead of 2?

The subinterval for m2m_2 contains the point x=0, for which f(x)=-1

Can't be sure of the answer for m3m_3 as the details of f(x) are missing for the final subinterval.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
The subinterval for m2m_2 contains the point x=0, for which f(x)=-1

Can't be sure of the answer for m3m_3 as the details of f(x) are missing for the final subinterval.

=1,x(0,1]= 1, x \in (0,1]

sorry about that!
And thanks for your help
Original post by Blue7195
=1,x(0,1]= 1, x \in (0,1]

OK, then for m3m_3, f(x) is 1 on the whole subinterval [1/n,1], so the inf is also 1.

All clear now?
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
OK, then for m3m_3, f(x) is 1 on the whole subinterval [1/n,1], so the inf is also 1.

All clear now?

Yeah thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest