Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with this deduction? - Possibly for fans of Sherlock Holmes? watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is the problem:
    A detective is trying to figure out who murdered the victim. All the suspects make 3 statements, 2 of which are true and one is false. Who is the murderer?

Juan: I didn't kill him.
    I've never possessed a knife.
    It was Julian

Jose: I didn't kill him.
    I don't have a knife
    The others are often drunk

Jorge: I am innocent
    Julian is the killer
    I've never met Javier

Julian: I am innocent
    Javier is the culprit
    Juan lied when he said that I did it

Javier: I didn't kill him
    Jose is the killer
    Jorge and I are old friends

My thoughts are that the statements ''I've never met Javier'' and ''Jorge and I are old friends'' both can't be true,so one of them is false. However if, let's say ''Jorge and I are old friends'' is true, then Jorge is innocent and it was Julian. But, if Julian isn't innocent, then the statements ''it was Javier'' and ''Juan lied'' are true. So, that must mean that Javier's statement of ''Jorge and I are old friends'' must be false and therefore Jorge's statement of ''I've never met Javier'' is true.

Have any thoughts? Because I am just confused! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megsiie1)
    Here is the problem:
    A detective is trying to figure out who murdered the victim. All the suspects make 3 statements, 2 of which are true and one is false. Who is the murderer?

It was Julian

I don't have a knife

Julian is the killer
    I've never met Javier

Javier is the culprit

Jose is the killer

My thoughts are that the statements ''I've never met Javier'' and ''Jorge and I are old friends'' both can't be true,so one of them is false. However if, let's say ''Jorge and I are old friends'' is true, then Jorge is innocent and it was Julian. But, if Julian isn't innocent, then the statements ''it was Javier'' and ''Juan lied'' are true. So, that must mean that Javier's statement of ''Jorge and I are old friends'' must be false and therefore Jorge's statement of ''I've never met Javier'' is true.

All but one can be instantly eliminated by exactly the same thought process because if they lie about themselves they would have to be telling the truth in the other 2 statements
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Here is the problem:

It was Julian

I don't have a knife

Julian is the killer
    I've never met Javier

Javier is the culprit

Jose is the killer

You have deduced that "Jorge and I are old friends" is a lie. More concretely:
    Suppose "Jorge and I are old friends" is true. Then Jorge's "I've never met Javier" is false, so Jorge's "Julian is the killer" is true. Hence Julian's "I am innocent" is false, so Julian's "Javier is the culprit" is true - but that's a contradiction (assuming only one person committed the murder).

Because you've identified Javier's lie, you know then that Javier's other two statements must be true. It remains to check whether it is consistent for Jose to be the killer (as Javier asserts truthfully), just to make sure that the problem is well-posed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    You have deduced that "Jorge and I are old friends" is a lie. More concretely:
    Suppose "Jorge and I are old friends" is true. Then Jorge's "I've never met Javier" is false, so Jorge's "Julian is the killer" is true. Hence Julian's "I am innocent" is false, so Julian's "Javier is the culprit" is true - but that's a contradiction (assuming only one person committed the murder).

Because you've identified Javier's lie, you know then that Javier's other two statements must be true. It remains to check whether it is consistent for Jose to be the killer (as Javier asserts truthfully), just to make sure that the problem is well-posed.
    Sooooooooo over complicated

Take juan ... If he is the killer then his first statement is a lie so his third statement must be true ... A contradiction

Everyone who accuses someone else can be eliminated by the same logic
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Sooooooooo over complicated

Take juan ... If he is the killer then his first statement is a lie so his third statement must be true ... A contradiction

Everyone who accuses someone else can be eliminated by the same logic
    Over-complicated it may be, but it's what the OP had deduced

ReputationRep:
    I got it! Anyone who claims to be innocent, and also claims someone else was the killer, cannot be the killer - because then they would have made two false statements. So Juan, Jorge, Julian and Javier must be innocent. Therefore Jose is the killer!

Thanks for the help anyways

ReputationRep:
    I got it! Anyone who claims to be innocent, and also claims someone else was the killer, cannot be the killer - because then they would have made two false statements. So Juan, Jorge, Julian and Javier must be innocent. Therefore Jose is the killer!
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    Here is the problem:

It was Julian

I don't have a knife

Julian is the killer
    I've never met Javier

Javier is the culprit

Jose is the killer
    If we start with Julian, his first and last statements mean the same thing, making his second a lie.
    That means it was not Javier.
    Javiers' first is therefore true.
    If we look at his third statement, the only way to cross-reference would be to look at Jorge's statements.
    Jorge says that Julian is the killer, a fact that we have already dismissed. Therefore, Javier's final statement is false, making his second one true.
    It was that **** Jose!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.