Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    My son came to live with me when he was 16 as his mum thought that it was important that he spent time with me before he left home and he needed a male role model. Before that he lived with her in Holland. We are all British citizens.

    He's applying for uni now and we've just started looking at finance. We had no idea that you had to live here for 3 years to get a loan. By the time his course starts he will have been here 2 years and 3 months.

    Are there no circumstances where he could get a student loan this year?

    If he delays for a year and works in the UK for that time would he be eligible for a loan in 2016?

    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    As he was in the EU he would be eligible to apply as an EU student and would therefore receive the tuition fee loan only, but if he applies as an EU student this year, he would need to stay as an EU student for the duration of the course, meaning he could only get tuition fee loan for the whole course.

    If he waits until 2016 he would be classed as a home student, and could therefore apply for tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant (based on household income), for the duration of the course.

Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.