zweeden99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I'm currently picking my A-Level options and I want to do an English (Language or Literature.) The current school I am at does English Language or Literature. However, another school in my are does English Language and Literature joint. My main concern is that do you get the same amount of A-levels if you picked one or do you get 50% Language and 50% Literature? So should I pick this option or should i stay where I am and pick Language or Literature? Finally, which English do you think is better?
Thanks
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
Hey

As far as I know, English Language and Literature is just an A Level of its own and within its syllabus you have a mixture of both. So it's not two different A Levels being merged together, it's a whole A Level on its own. Basically-
English Language and Literature=English Language= English Literature

Personally I prefer English Literature because I like picking out tiny details and relating them to society and history etc.

Literature classes can get really fun when you start having debates about a poem or a piece of text.

Plus, there's never a right or wrong answer so you can be really creative with your ideas

I'm quite glad I chose it over Language because I can't handle the idea of interpreting articles and non fiction texts.

Hope this helps
zweeden99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by enaayrah)
Hey

As far as I know, English Language and Literature is just an A Level of its own and within its syllabus you have a mixture of both. So it's not two different A Levels being merged together, it's a whole A Level on its own. Basically-
English Language and Literature=English Language= English Literature

Personally I prefer English Literature because I like picking out tiny details and relating them to society and history etc.

Literature classes can get really fun when you start having debates about a poem or a piece of text.

Plus, there's never a right or wrong answer so you can be really creative with your ideas

I'm quite glad I chose it over Language because I can't handle the idea of interpreting articles and non fiction texts.

Hope this helps
Hi and thanks for your reply. So, do you think I should just do Literature or Language and Literature. Tbh I'm equally good in both and I got A's in both my mocks- slightly higher in Language.
Thanks a lot!!
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zweeden99)
Hi and thanks for your reply. So, do you think I should just do Literature or Language and Literature. Tbh I'm equally good in both and I got A's in both my mocks- slightly higher in Language.
Thanks a lot!!
I think you should do what you find most interesting. I got higher in Language at GCSE but I still chose Literature because I had more passion towards it

If you're equally good at both and enjoy both then you should choose Language and Literature, though I've been told that Literature is slightly more respected

Look at your other options and see which mixes best if that helps.

PM me if you need more help
Lunnford84
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently studying English Language and Literature (AQA), and it's very fascinating dealing with speech elements and linguistic forms alongside the literary studies, but then I'm also deeply interested in linguistics. Also, a lot of the texts I have been reading in preparation for university level English require a basic knowledge of linguistic elements also, so that's quite helpful.

There are moments where I wish I'd have just taken the English Literature, as it may have been much easier, but I'm also glad that I've stretched my scope in terms of a wider knowledge of literary theory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (699)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (880)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads