Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cameron should fear Miliband not Farage - Lord Patten Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30860010

Lord Patten has advised Cameron not to take part in the debates as it will unnecessarily give a platform to Ed Miliband, and Miliband might make the PM look bad

Mr Miliband was "highly intelligent" and a "good debater", the peer told BBC Radio 4's Week in Westminster.

Lord Patten told the BBC: "I wouldn't be worried about the Farage factor; I'd be much more worried about the platform it gives Ed Miliband."
    He said he was concerned that during the election campaign the Labour leader "might come across a lot better" than the press says he is

I'm certain that we will have the whining and screeching and the gnashing of the teeth from certain Tory supporters at seeing Lord Patten's; they see the right-wing press tell them what to think about Miliband, they adopt that view and then perform the mental gymanastics necessary to believe they thought that all along.

Anyway, whatever the PM has to do to feel comfortable. PM's prerogative to run away from a debate.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of his motives, Cameron is in the right. If UKIP and the Lib Dems are going to be in the debate then, much as I loathe them, the Greens should be too. Ofcom's decision is ridiculous.

If Miliband really wants the debate then why doesn't he support the Greens taking part? The same reason Cameron wants them to, they might split the left-wing vote.

Miliband is as much running away from the debate as Cameron is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Regardless of his motives, Cameron is in the right. If UKIP and the Lib Dems are going to be in the debate then, much as I loathe them, the Greens should be too. Ofcom's decision is ridiculous.

If Miliband really wants the debate then why doesn't he support the Greens taking part?
    Miliband has said he will take part no matter what, whether the Greens are included or not.

The same reason Cameron wants them to, they might split the left-wing vote.
    Yes, that is the reason Cameron is running away not just from the one debate that would include minor parties, but from all the debates. It was supposed to be one debate with Lab/Con, one Lab/Con/Lib and one Lab/Con/Lib/UKIP debate.

Cameron hasn't just refused to take part in the last one, he has run away from all of them.

Furthermore, the conservatives are whining that it wouldn't be "fair" for the Conservatives to have to face a minor party on their right if Labour didn't also face on their left. Well, life isn't fair; the Greens are not comparable to UKIP in terms of size, vote, influence etc

Miliband is as much running away from the debate as Cameron is
    Miliband has said he is willing to take part in the debates either way. Only Cameron has said he will not take part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

If Miliband really wants the debate then why doesn't he support the Greens taking part? The same reason Cameron wants them to, they might split the left-wing vote.

Miliband is as much running away from the debate as Cameron is.
    Labour, the conservatives, the lib dems and ukip are UK wide political parties.

The Green Party is not a UK wide party, but a regional party. One Green Party represents England and wales, one Green Party represents wales, another Green Party represents Northern ireland, and another Green Party represents Scotland.

The UK Green Party dissolved in 1990.

So who is the leader of the Green Party? And who do they represent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Despite the fact that both of them criticise Israel, generally don't block pro-Palestinian UN resolutions.
    But Cameron is on record saying that he's a Zionist, and Miliband a possible Zionist via his link with his father, a Marxist. Also David Miliband is definately a Zionist. So I am almost certain that Ed Miliband is a Zionist too. When Zionist's criticise Israel, they do it for different reasons than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron not willing to debate because the Greens were not there was just ridiculous. Unlike Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP the Greens really are not that popular. I just think it was bad a move, and clearly showed he was not ready for the questions that were going to cme his way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.