Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so... I'm really stuck.
    I have an unconditional for Maths and Stats at Edinburgh Uni. But I also have an unconditional for Maths, Stats and Acturial Science at Heriot Watt Uni.
    I prefer Heriot Watt campus, and I'm interested in MAYBE becoming an actuary (so Acturial science would be useful).
    However, Edinburgh is a more prestigious uni and more well known internationally. Also, I could still become an actuary with Maths and Stats degree from Edinburgh.
    What should I do!!!!! I'm so stressed out. Please help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    wow congratulations that's brilliant! I applied for the MSAS course at heriot watt aswell and have a conditional offer! have you been to either of the open days? My brother studies actuarial science at heriot watt and he says the MSAS course is quite similar to his for the first two years with slight differences. Would you prefer a campus university or a bigger one like Edinburgh? you have plenty of time to think anyway

ReputationRep:
    Cool well done! Yeah I emailed the Uni about what I would do if I wanted to switch to just Acturial Science and they said they were very similar in first in second year so I could do it after that. I would rather the Heriot Watt campus but I'm just concerned that I might not get employed over a person who got a degree from, say Edinburgh, over Heriot Watt because it's more well known

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwabwa)
    Cool well done! Yeah I emailed the Uni about what I would do if I wanted to switch to just Acturial Science and they said they were very similar in first in second year so I could do it after that. I would rather the Heriot Watt campus but I'm just concerned that I might not get employed over a person who got a degree from, say Edinburgh, over Heriot Watt because it's more well known

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah they said that to me too! I think heriot watt is quite well known for like being really good at maths so I wouldn't say you would have a problem!

ReputationRep:
    Heriot Watt is a world leader in actuarials and has a really strong global reputation in that field, if that's what you're interested in then I'd go there. The prestige of a historical university isn't necessarily what you want when you have the choice of a world leader!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.