Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont want to go into too much detail but I have a lot of problems I'm trying to deal with, personal, family, relationship and finances and work. So far, I've done well at university but I feel that I have completely drained out myself. Next year is my last year and I'm not sure whether I can have the same enthusiasm and energy to give it ALL.

I easily stress myself but I have done it for so long. I can't take out a year. This summer, maybe I could try and relax but I really have to spend it all trying to work as much as possible.

I would have loved to aimed for a first class degree but I am not sure whether I have that energy left... so I'm asking you guys: Whats more important to you? Trying to get a balance in private life first and university comes second or is your degree (grade) more important and you would mentally turn into a wreck and you're not even sure if you'll get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    Mental health is far more important to me. There's of course a balance - you can't just ignore the degree but you can't let it completely rule your life or else you'll just be miserable and want to drop out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's definitely a balance here!

What I try to do is relax and chill as much as I can from after assignment hand ins to when the term starts again. I then try to work through work as I get it.
    We can of course expect to be up for a stupid amount of time closer to deadlines, it's just the way that it so happens to be.

Do you work whilst at uni? It might be good to have one day a week where you don't touch university work at all unless absolutely necessary? You could take this time to travel somewhere new, or go for a walk or explore. Or even spend the day just chilling around the house? I'd personally love to have a day a week where I go exploring somewhere and then go to the pool in the evening and abuse the steam room / jacuzzi! :sexface:

At my university, we're being offered the chance to do a 15 credit module over the summer vacation and hand in with everyone else. I'm taking this opportunity because it'll relieve a lot of pressure when it comes to the dissertation for third year. Could you ask about this at your uni?

Let me know if you have any more questions! ^_^
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well don't give yourself work when you don't need to do it. Work/life balance is required. Do the work you need to do and it may well stress you out, but it should be achievable. Do extra work and you're probably going to sink. I'm assuming your 'summer work' is probably not necessary(!). You need to chill out or you'll burn out.

If you can withstand it, then a good Uni grade will stand you in good stead for years to come. Stress is temporary. It's about knowing yourself and at what point stress becomes too much to handle.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with everybody else- there is definitely a balance. Although, I can completely sympathize with you stressing yourself out too easily. I am guilty of that myself. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your advice!

At the moment I just have so many financial and relationship problems I can't stop worrying, it's killing me inside. I feel quite lonely, too as I can't really talk to anyone about it and I feel really alone with this
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by meaow1990)
    Thank you for all your advice!

At the moment I just have so many financial and relationship problems I can't stop worrying, it's killing me inside. I feel quite lonely, too as I can't really talk to anyone about it and I feel really alone with this
    Have you asked your university about their counselling services? They're super awesome, discreet, and they give you a chance to get everything off your chest.

ReputationRep:
    hey, ur such a hard worker. In order to succeed you need to first look after yourself. your well being is most important and then your work good luck with everything xxx

ReputationRep:
    Grades. Always.

ReputationRep:
    ALWAYS prioritise your health over school obviously but I think it's important to try and find a balance. Nothing's permanent and I'm sure there's some way you could make a schedule so that you have time to work and rest? Is there anyone you could talk to? I find when it all gets too much, breathing methods and talking to people works - but different people=different ways.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you have both?

ReputationRep:
    Well-being. I prioritised my grades and nearly had a nervous breakdown and still didn't manage to get a First. You have to sort your head out. See someone at the university, maybe see if you can get some extensions and whatnot so you don't completely mess up, and then you can work better because you'll be better.

ReputationRep:
    Why ask? You've already made your mind up judging from your post. Do you want affirmation from us?

ReputationRep:
    Your wellbeing is obviously more important, however, a good degree is the ticket to comfort in later life unless you have another skill you can use to make money.

ReputationRep:
    you should also remember that stress will affect your ability to think clearly, remember things and organise yourself well, while you're totally overwhelmed you're unlikely to be eating or sleeping well, you're likely to be managing your time poorly... actually taking care of yourself can improve your grades while working less if you can get your head sorted

ReputationRep:
    Health is number one, as long as you can prove it next day...

ReputationRep:
    Don't do what I did.

I was basically in the same situation. I was suffering for the last couple of months of 2nd year, my grades slipped massively and I considered a year off. However I brushed it off and thought I could just tough it out.

Well, 18 months, 2 suicide attempts and plenty of anguish later I don't have a degree, I don't have any friends and my health is not any better.

Seriously, don't make my mistake also, make sure you are ready and prepared or you will never get the grades you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meaow1990)
    I dont want to go into too much detail but I have a lot of problems I'm trying to deal with, personal, family, relationship and finances and work. So far, I've done well at university but I feel that I have completely drained out myself. Next year is my last year and I'm not sure whether I can have the same enthusiasm and energy to give it ALL.

I easily stress myself but I have done it for so long. I can't take out a year. This summer, maybe I could try and relax but I really have to spend it all trying to work as much as possible.

I would have loved to aimed for a first class degree but I am not sure whether I have that energy left... so I'm asking you guys: Whats more important to you? Trying to get a balance in private life first and university comes second or is your degree (grade) more important and you would mentally turn into a wreck and you're not even sure if you'll get a good grade.
    Sometimes you just have to cut yourself some slack.

It is vital for your health and well being to not be continually stressing. Easier said than done I know, especially when you are in the middle of it all.

Think what would those who love and value you want for yourself? They would want you to be enjoying life.

I would say you do your best and then rationalise it all.

Get yourself a hobby too, some sort of sport maybe to give you a few hours each week doing something that exhausts you but give you some good endorphins. This will help you with other areas in your life too.

What do you think?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.