Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Financial decision to make, help needed, choices to pick watch

This is my first thread in a while and couldn't find a relevant section, so sorry in advanced if this is not the place.

There are 3 things that I want now that is purely financially related, and only have the savings for 2 of them and I'm finding it hard to prioritize, and I'm asking you, what you would do if you were me.

The three things are: travelling with a few friends in summer, car (+tax, MOT etc) and behind the teeth braces.

The only one that is 95% happening, is summer travelling, because I've never been so consistently happy from an experience (girlfriends aside) which I first had last year when I volunteered abroad.

Now the other two. I have a little gap in my front teeth, that I've always wanted fixed and was always too stubborn for braces when I was younger, I'm almost 21 and it's about time it gets sorted. It'll cost about £2.5-3k but you can finance if you have the right amount to start with. Now cars, I LOVE driving. It makes me feel completely free, I'm a complete petrol head. Yes it's a continuous expense, but the upkeep isn't a problem. I would spend about £1500 on a 10 year old or so car, and use when I'm home from uni in summer and winter. After/during my year in industry as part of my course, I fully intend to spend a large sum on a decent motor so it will only be for a year or two and then I can resell for whatever I can get for it.

So for me, it's not so simple as just saying what do you want more, because I want all 3 equally as much and I don't know how to pick.

Thanks for reading so far

If you think about it in turns of the benefit it will bring. The car will bring a lot of tangible benefits, you will not have to rely on other people and can go and do more things. The braces will probably have a very small benefit, you might feel slightly more confident but it's unlikely to dramatically change your life. I would go for the car.

Yeah, that is a solid point. Thank you. I live in a fairly remote area back home, so this is the more logical decision looking at it in retrospect
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.