Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for media and communication courses in Leeds, Cardiff, New Castle and Leicester. But do I even need this degree to pursue my interests in media? Is doing a general degree more useful?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused by your post... What are you interests in media and what do you mean by "a general degree"??
    I also applied to the same course at Leeds and Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Media , history or geography most people can get into them! You know when someone chooses a history degree but wants to be a solicitor that tells you they do not want to work , if they had sense they would do a law degree!
    If you are determined to be in the film industry you will need more than a degree , it is about passion! History or Geography within teacher training is the only way to go , unless you are Catherine , Wills wife, and you can afford not to actually want a career just a degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bianca2402)
    I'm confused by your post... What are you interests in media and what do you mean by "a general degree"??

You could go and work for a newspaper, all sorts of things you can do , without a media degree. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConfusedHuman)
    I have applied for media and communication courses in Leeds, Cardiff, New Castle and Leicester. But do I even need this degree to pursue my interests in media? Is doing a general degree more useful?
    You have hit the nail on the head , any degree will do and more useful you will always have something to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, we LOVE this question on this forum!! If you search, you will find long threads on this very subject. The short answer is, no you do not need any degree to work in the media! But yes, most people who do work in the media have a degree! Yes, a 'more general' degree (by which I guess you must mean history/english lit/law) may serve you better in the long run. This is because a) you don't need a degree in media to do media and b) many people look down on media degrees, so ultimately you might be better off in the long run with something else. But it won't matter for the actual process of accessing the media as a career.

It won't make any difference to your job prospects if you have a media degree or an english literature degree - should you do a media degree? Sure, if you want to - but if you want to do something else, go ahead - you can still join the media afterwards. It won't make any difference.

I do think, though, if you want to do journalism, then study journalism.

I have a communications degree and I worked 18 years in the media but I didn't get any jobs because of it, nor was it of any practical use when working. But hey! I spent 10 years employing people - no idea where any of them went to uni or what they did - it was absolutely totally irrelevant (I was docs) -

If you want my advice - and surely you do! - get yourself some work exp in the media pronto because this is the most important thing by far when landing a job. Then you're in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bianca2402)
    By General Degree I mean BBA. I was thinking of doing something related to advertising or media planning a few years down the line,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    Ah, we LOVE this question on this forum!! If you search, you will find long threads on this very subject. The short answer is, no you do not need any degree to work in the media! But yes, most people who do work in the media have a degree! Yes, a 'more general' degree (by which I guess you must mean history/english lit/law) may serve you better in the long run. This is because a) you don't need a degree in media to do media and b) many people look down on media degrees, so ultimately you might be better off in the long run with something else. But it won't matter for the actual process of accessing the media as a career.

It won't make any difference to your job prospects if you have a media degree or an english literature degree - should you do a media degree? Sure, if you want to - but if you want to do something else, go ahead - you can still join the media afterwards. It won't make any difference.

I do think, though, if you want to do journalism, then study journalism.

I have a communications degree and I worked 18 years in the media but I didn't get any jobs because of it, nor was it of any practical use when working. But hey! I spent 10 years employing people - no idea where any of them went to uni or what they did - it was absolutely totally irrelevant (I was docs) -

If you want my advice - and surely you do! - get yourself some work exp in the media pronto because this is the most important thing by far when landing a job. Then you're in.
    Thank you! I was thinking when I study, I could do an internship somewhere. I hope they are fine with employing a non - university graduate.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of things you can do if you don't study Media But on your course hopefully there will be placements and stuff like that which will help build references and contacts too I'm going to study Media aswell!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I was thinking when I study, I could do an internship somewhere. I hope they are fine with employing a non - university graduate.
    Hi, sorry late reply.

Honestly unless you are going for a commissioning editor job at the main broadcasters they are not likely to care as no-one really gives a stuff where anyone else has come from given that everyone moves around so much.

If you do encounter any problems on that front, go to the independent sector.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.