Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody ! Starting next year I indend to study in UK and I really want to know how romanian students are treated there . That's because I don't want to be discriminated because of my nationality and also I hate those wrong perceptions which say "All romanians are gypsies " or "they are all thieves and low iq people" . These kind of generalisations have formed because of the romans who emigrated in UK in the past years ,but they are totally separate from romanians. They should be the ones blamed for their unadequate behavior not the innocent romanian students. So , my questions are :
    1.What's your opinion about romanians ?
    2.In your experience you saw a romanian student discriminated just because he is romanian ? Or people looking differently at him ?
    3.Generally at universities how romanians are treated ? They are treated equal ?
    4.They can integrate easily in british societies or they stay just with the romanian society ?

ReputationRep:
    I've never encountered anyone conflating Roma with Romanians. In any case, the type of blanket negative view of any ethnic group which you outline, would be discouraged at uni in real life. Regardless of how such issues might be discussed on TSR and online elsewhere, people are rarely daft enough to say anything like that out loud. Racists tend to be much braver when posting anonymously on the internet.

Sorry that you have such a negative view of UK unis and students. On the whole, they're some of the most liberal environments you're going to find in this country. You shouldn't be worried.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Sorry that you have such a negative view of UK unis and students. On the whole, they're some of the most liberal environments you're going to find in this country. You shouldn't be worried.
    Definitely this. There are a load of EU/international students and they are most certainly not discriminated against.

I'm not sure where you got this view from, but it's definitely a false view and should you come to study in the UK then I can assure that it's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will treat you equally, don't be bothered...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know Romanian students and they're completely normal apart from bigger breasts than the average student.

As long as you're not walking at a snails pace around campus rattling a cup I don't see why you think anyone would be that bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.