Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like some advice regarding the application process of the uni and the institution in general. I'm curious of the importance of GCSE's for a candidate as I got 1 A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and a C. However, the school average was much lower and I was in the top 5 of my year but will this play into the opinions of admissions officers. Secondly, I'm currently doing Sociology by myself as a fourth AS privately. I do Maths, Biology and Chemistry with the school. I currently unknown of a degree I wish to do but have a rough idea of a engineering/science/economics or law but can any students tell me what extracurriculars you did and your respective subject.

Thanks for reading and for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    I got slightly better GCSEs than you and was in a smiliar position, moved to a private school and got 4A at AS. I think that's probably more important to get good AS and good predicts unless you're applying for medicine. For economics stuff like Target 2.0, EPQ and Young Enterprise are supposed to look good on UCAS, no idea if they actually count for anything. Honestly my experience of applying seems to be unless you're applying for Oxbridge AS and predicts count for almost everything.

Unless you do M3 in maths you're going to need Physics as well, so you might have to talk to your maths teachers about that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know too much about extracurriculars (I'm only in Year 12 myself), but physics is an absolute must for the vast majority of engineering courses, so you're ruling out any possible career in that field by not studying it at A-Level. (Unless you're considering doing a foundation year, of course.)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you're going to a 'bad' state school, then your referees may choose to highlight that and I suppose that would be favourable for admissions' officers.

There's lots of stuff you can do, but I think a key thing would be to try and figure out what you want to study.

I'd recommend:

Going to public lectures that seem interesting to you - this is good to talk about in interviews and/or PS'.

Getting semi-relevant work experience - I'm not sure how much you've done up to now but definitely use this Summer to get some more work experience, and in a field that you'd be interested in going in.

Attending Summer school - looks good on your UCAS.

Extra Curriculars/Volunteering - get involved in whatever you can. Emphasise the transferrable skills through particular experiences you've had. My school only had a debating society and a creative writing club so I joined both. (Studying Maths)

It's never too late to start revision - if you want to get top grades you have to be at the top of your game.

From what I know top, top GCSE's are only expected from Medicine and top, top uni's so I wouldn't be too worried, as long as you have a B in English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)

From what I know top, top GCSE's are only expected from Medicine and top, top uni's so I wouldn't be too worried, as long as you have a B in English and Maths.
    This *is* the Cambridge forum...
    OP: You don't have FM or Phys so engineering is out. No FM means it'd be tough for you to get into econ but not impossible. Law is just very competitive in general. But you have the subjects to apply for Bio NatSci if you're interested in that? Your GCSEs are low but as you say, you have reasons for this. You'll need very strong UMS % in your AS
    They don't really care much about extra curriculars as a lot of students may not have access to every EC available. I did almost no ECs for Computer Science and got an offer, for science subjects they're really not very important at all. This advice only really applies for Cambridge, other unis vary.

But you should definitely decide on your course before your uni, and even very strong candidates don't always get into Cambridge, it's very difficult!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Young Socrates)
    I would like some advice regarding the application process of the uni and the institution in general. I'm curious of the importance of GCSE's for a candidate as I got 1 A*, 5 A's, 3 B's and a C. However, the school average was much lower and I was in the top 5 of my year but will this play into the opinions of admissions officers. Secondly, I'm currently doing Sociology by myself as a fourth AS privately. I do Maths, Biology and Chemistry with the school. I currently unknown of a degree I wish to do but have a rough idea of a engineering/science/economics or law but can any students tell me what extracurriculars you did and your respective subject.

Thanks for reading and for any replies.
    I won't comment on extracurriculars as they're less important for Cambridge than you might think!

What I will say is this: decide what interests you and what course you want to study, then assess whether Cambridge is the best place to aim for. Don't start off thinking "Cambridge would be a really cool place to study" and then faff about trying to home in on a subject you might just get interested in!

I'll echo what some of the other posters have said too: if you want to do Engineering or a Physics-oriented science degree then one or both of Physics and Further Maths is pretty much essential for a top uni. Sociology as a fourth subject is fine if your interests are skewed towards the humanities / social sciences, but it doesn't sound like that's where you're at.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.