The Student Room Group

Girls! I need help with make up. What do I do???

Okay I'm 17 and I hardly wear make up. My sister asked me if I exfoliate, and how I put on make up. And apparently everything I do is wrong. So what am I supposed to do? I would ask my sister but she's busy with her wedding so...GIRLS HELP!!
First of all, moisturize every evening and morning.
My normal makeup routine is mousturise, concealer, foundation, pressed powder. I then put on eyeliner and a couple coats of mascara. nothing special but hey its a start.
In the evenings, I use makeup wipes to take it off then exfoliate using simple facial scrub :smile:
There's so many YouTube tutorials that are easy to follow. So many that you can even choose someone with the same skin type or your budget (high street vs high end).Makeup wise, If I'm going somewhere special I would exfoliate (don't over exfoliate your face. I only exfoliate 2xs a week). Use a good moisturiser, and after a minute use a primer (optional but it helps if you want your makeup to last). Then I would use foundation with a beauty blender (sponge) and then use a concealer under the eyes/ if you have any blemishes. A little powder to set the makeup. Add some blush and your face is done. Lipstick, eyeliner and mascara = you're now good to go!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SophiaLDN
There's so many YouTube tutorials that are easy to follow. So many that you can even choose someone with the same skin type or your budget (high street vs high end).Makeup wise, If I'm going somewhere special I would exfoliate (don't over exfoliate your face. I only exfoliate 2xs a week). Use a good moisturiser, and after a minute use a primer (optional but it helps if you want your makeup to last). Then I would use foundation with a beauty blender (sponge) and then use a concealer under the eyes/ if you have any blemishes. A little powder to set the makeup. Add some blush and your face is done. Lipstick, eyeliner and mascara = you're now good to go!

Thanks! Is a beauty blender good because my sister told me to apply foundation with a brush.
Reply 4
Original post by sickitslucy
First of all, moisturize every evening and morning.
My normal makeup routine is mousturise, concealer, foundation, pressed powder. I then put on eyeliner and a couple coats of mascara. nothing special but hey its a start.
In the evenings, I use makeup wipes to take it off then exfoliate using simple facial scrub :smile:

Thanks that sounds like a simple routine. How long does it take?:smile:
I would recommend looking on Youtube at some tutorials, they're great and that's how I first started learning how to do eyeshadow properly and not like a 10 year old who has raided her mums make up box!! People make some great videos for make up to suit tanned skin, pale skin.. every type of skin, every colour of eyes and every style.
Firstly, think about what skin type you have.. does it get oily... dry... or a little bit of both? Most make up brands do specific ranges of skincare and base make up (foundation, concealer) to suit the type of skin that you have. For example, if you get dry skin (like myself) then I probably wouldn't recommend getting a matte foundation as that can dry your skin out even worse and then your make up will just look terrible! It doesn't really matter how expensive your foundation is as long as it suits your skin type properly and matches up with your skin tone. Every person has different needs when it comes to make up.
It might be helpful to go for a consultation at one of the make up brand areas in a Boots or Debenhams store. You can then chat to the make up advisor about what you would like to get out of your make up and gain useful advice.
My real advice is just to experiment with lots of different products (these don't have to be expensive like YSL or Chanel or anything like that) high street budget make up is amazing if you know what you're looking for. Find different shades of eyeshadows that really make the colour of your eyes pop! Maybe get a palette with loads of different colours in. And look at different lipstick shades that will suit your skin tone.

You definitely don't have to go all out and use a million and one products to get your make up looking nice! Remember using make up is not about changing your entire look... it's about enhancing your best features in a natural way. You might buy the most expensive raved-about foundation ever but if it breaks you out then theres no use for it.

Personally I cleanse using Boots own brand cucumber cleanser, exfoliate with a neutrogena exfoliator, and then moisturise with a boots own brand cucumber moisturiser. These products may be cheap but they suit my skin type perfectly!

So briefly... Browse the internet and look at product reviews on make up websites, look at tutorials on youtube, get a consultation at a make up counter, chat to friends about what products they use and experiment, experiment, experiment!
Original post by Bumii
Thanks! Is a beauty blender good because my sister told me to apply foundation with a brush.

I haven't used a beauty blender but there's no right or wrong here. Both would work and it's just down to your personal preference.

I'd also add that if you're just starting out it'd be easier to begin with the basics, such as mascara, foundation, blush and lipstick. Things like eyeshadow, brows and contouring are quite hard to manage so slowly move on to those if you wish once you're more comfortable with wearing makeup!
Original post by Bumii

You can use a brush, I used to until I discovered the beauty blender. Its amazing! It literally gives you a flawless finish that a brush wouldn't. Also, if you're a beginner it'll be very easy to use. With a brush, you have to go over your makeup again & again to make sure that its blended & there aren't any streaks.
Original post by Bumii
Thanks that sounds like a simple routine. How long does it take?:smile:

about 15 minutes, if that, morning and night :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Sempiternitas
I haven't used a beauty blender but there's no right or wrong here. Both would work and it's just down to your personal preference.

I'd also add that if you're just starting out it'd be easier to begin with the basics, such as mascara, foundation, blush and lipstick. Things like eyeshadow, brows and contouring are quite hard to manage so slowly move on to those if you wish once you're more comfortable with wearing makeup!

Thanks for the tip!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending