Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Was my dad in the wrong doing this or was it sensible? (Health issue) watch

ReputationRep:
    I went for a hike/walk with my dad and younger cousin (he's 16) and my cousin was finding it hard to breath so we stopped. He doesnt have diagnosed asthma but he has a nasal condition - non allergic rhinitis and nasal polyps which he takes a nasal spray for everyday. When we stopped he was saying that his windpipe felt really tight he was wheezing a bit, its never happened before. We rang for emergency help and my dad (who carries an inhaler) because he himself has asthma) gave him his inhaler to use.

Turns out he was ok in the end it was a mild attack he is getting checked out for asthma. The thing is my aunt (cousins mum) has told my dad off for giving him his inhaler as you are not supposed to use other peoples medicine. So theres been an argument.

Would you say my dad was i. The wrong/stupid or was what he did sensible given the circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)
    I went for a hike/walk with my dad and younger cousin (he's 16) and my cousin was finding it hard to breath so we stopped. He doesnt have diagnosed asthma but he has a nasal condition - non allergic rhinitis and nasal polyps which he takes a nasal spray for everyday. When we stopped he was saying that his windpipe felt really tight he was wheezing a bit, its never happened before. We rang for emergency help and my dad (who carries an inhaler) because he himself has asthma) gave him his inhaler to use.

Turns out he was ok in the end it was a mild attack he is getting checked out for asthma. The thing is my aunt (cousins mum) has told my dad off for giving him his inhaler as you are not supposed to use other peoples medicine. So theres been an argument.

Would you say my dad was i. The wrong/stupid or was what he did sensible given the circumstances?
    Personally I'd have done the same as your dad because it isn't like it's some hard core antidepressant or something it's just a wee bit of meds to relax the muscles of your air way which isn't going to hurt you even if you don't especially need it.
    I think you're aunty's lucky would she have had the same problem with it if it'd been a full blown huge asthma attack? It's easy to be fussy about things like that when it's easy but if your cousin had been having a huge attack and you dad refrained from giving him the inhaler 'because you shouldn't share' and your cousin died would your Aunty feel the same?!
    Unless you're a medical professional you just can't be sure whether It's worth the risk or not. Your Aunt should be grateful that your dad did his best in a difficult situation, It's hard to know what to do regarding the health of other people's children and there's no harm done so she needs to get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)

I think what your dad did was reasonable. The risks with using someone else's inhaler are the transfer of bacteria/illness and the dosage. However I think that option is preferable to having an asthma attack.

I will confess that I do not know what the official medical advice is.

ReputationRep:
    i'd have done the same as your dad

ReputationRep:
    I would've done the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that if cousin just sat on a rock and relaxed he would probably have been ok . Maybe he should take more exercise to build up his level of fitness and resilience to such conditions..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, obviously don't tell your doctor as they wont be happy but as long as you're sensible and not giving hardcore prescription stuff out willynilly you shouldn't do any harm... I've given prescription meds to a friend when we were on holiday, she had had the same thing before, knew it was the condition I was medicated for and we couldn't easily access medical help so I just gave her some meds...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.