Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, recently I've been toying with the idea of buying a bike and using it to cycle to college and other stuff.
    Some key points;
    1. I live in Bow. Near the infamous Bow Roundabout where there are multiple deaths.
    2. I'll have to go through Lea Bridge to get to my destination. ALSO known for deaths
    3. I haven't rode a bike in years but I reckon I can.

Is this a good idea? I'd really like to cycle, it would only take thirty minutes. If so, how much is a good bike for beginners? What will I need for safety? WHAT ARE CYCLING LAWS ;D

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea? I'd say yes in general, can you not avoid those two hot spots or take them on the pavement?

a good bike is basically as much as you are prepared to spend - bear in mind costs of insurance, helmet, lights, lock etc

you will need a helmet, decent bike lights and preferably some high vis stuff to wear for safety (plus carry a puncture kit so you don't get stranded)

there aren't loads of cycling specific laws, you should just follow the rules of the road while you're on it, so you need to indicate, be in the right lane, not jump red lights etc be clear on what you are going to do next (e.g. don't indicate and then change your mind, don't pull out to dodge a puddle without indicating), be aware of what's around you and prepared for something unexpected (e.g. car cutting you up as you pass a turning) and know where blind spots are (esp on HGVs)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it now, even if you paid me. Sorry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.