The Student Room Group

The Welsh language is our revenge on the English

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I suppose the reason why the welsh behave in a negative way to the English is because the English also treat their neighbours negative. We are constantly treating our neighbours badly whether they are the Welsh, Irish or the Scottish. Or Immigrants in general. I guess they give us a taste of our own grievance which we inflict on others.

Most of this hatred is passed on by our parents. Most parents are stubborn and set in their ways. Its a shame that those of us who want to unite with our fellow Brits in the Union are often the ones who receive this discrimination up front.

Precisely! It's very disheartening to see when speaking English becomes one of the central aspects of being British - I understand it's obviously important since it is the country's main language. Britishness does not exclude Welsh-speakers. I know many Welsh-speakers, including myself, who are proud to be British and are 100% against separation. I also know many non Welsh-speaking, monolingual anglophones in Wales who are totally anti union. Speaking Welsh is often used to tar us as being anti-British by the mainstream media (The Daily Mail) when it is certainly not the case.
Reply 21
Original post by AstroNandos
Well I definitely didn't use Google translate :ninja:

I thought as much, we don't really use "rwy'n" :tongue:
Original post by jenkinsear
Pointless language spoken by bigots, racists and the brainwashed. Give it 100 years and it'll be a historical footnote.

Oh the irony...
Reply 23
Welsh is a pretty language. I wish I could speak it :daydreaming:
Original post by Aula
Welsh is a pretty language. I wish I could speak it :daydreaming:

The only Welsh I know is "Cymru am byth", and even then my pronunciation of it is horrendous (take the first few letters. Looks like a "sim", but is pronounced "cum", apparently. I think it sounds better as "sim" :ahee: ).

I'd use it just to baffle people. I should really ask my nan for a few phrases I can drop into every day scenarios.
Reply 25
Original post by jenkinsear
Pointless language spoken by bigots, racists and the brainwashed. Give it 100 years and it'll be a historical footnote.

Can you explain how Welsh is pointless and English is so full of point?

I am English and I live in Wales. From my perspective the welsh culture is totally different from the english and worth preserving. Welsh is the oldest living language in Europe and English is one of the youngest.

I accept that the OP title is inflammatory. It's taken from the Daily Telegraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending