Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am super stuck on how to calculate standards within a linear range. I have no idea where to start. How would I calculate a protein standard solution of 1.0mg/ml with a linear range of 0.2-10mg/ml? How much of buffer/water/protein would I add?

Help! Really stuck

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% what you mean, but the buffer IS water itself + other things, so it's just a protein:buffer calculation.

You can add 10 mg protein to 1 ml, hence making a 10 mg/ml solution. Then dilute it by taking say 0.5 ml of it and making back up to 1 ml; this is now your 5 mg/ml solution. You can make any concentration from this 10 mg/ml stock, and adjust the volumes as necessary e.g. if you need 10 ml of 10mg/ml solution, just add 100 mg in 10 ml.

Does this help?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.