Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is partially maths related, it's for the Welsh Bacc. Individual Investigation. I would like to do a project based on mathematical methods and processes at advanced level (calculus or areas explored in uni like number theory or topology), it has to link to Wales and another country, which I can find later and also be contemporary. Any ideas for the project?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, how significant must the link to a country be? Can it be as superficial as say, a particularly notable mathematician from that country i.e Hamilton for Ireland, or a certain movement or school of thought that originated from that country? The thing is, with contemporary mathematics, things are rarely tied down to one country. Take for example the Polymath project of reducing the bound of gaps between primes. This was a worldwide project, that first started due to a paper published by an American mathematician of Chinese origin, who used ideas by countless mathematicians before him and the project itself was headed by an Austrailian mathematician.

Also depends on how contemporary it should be. You'll have a lot of trouble investigating at depth the vast majority of modern mathematics unless you're comfortable with the language used by mathematicians. Also even if you were to engage with all the jargon, you'd find it hard to write much about things done recently because of the amount of pre-requisite knowledge required to talk about it at depth. But if you were to say, talk about the gaps between primes, you could mention the twin primes conjecture, some work done by older mathematicians and perhaps some outline of modern methods. Maybe this won't be contemporary enough, but I don't know how you'd do any better really.

Some ideas: Maybe you could write on one of the Clay Institute's Millenium problems. These problems get so much attention that there is a lot of accessible material that you can read to get a feel for what these problems are about, especially the Riemann hypothesis which gets the most heads turning.

ReputationRep:
    The Clay's Institute's Problems are definitely a good idea, the only issue would be linking this to Wales, which has to feature somewhere in the project title. I would definitely like to do a project on them, particularly the Riemann Hypothesis because of the implications that solving it (if that's possible) would have on our communication security. Sadly I'm not sure that I'd be able to link it to Wales without forcing it, so I don't think that for this investigation it will be possible. I was thinking about the prospect of doing it on cryptography and various methods of data encryption which are used, but again Wales doesn't have a specific method that only it uses (as far as I'm aware). Obviously looking into research which Welsh mathematicians are doing is a way to go, but as you said, the language used by mathematicians is difficult to navigate and a great bank of pre-requisite knowledge is required.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.