Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My best friend and I have had so many amazing memories together. We've been on holiday together, been to concerts etc. And now I just feel that she's moving on from me and I'm not good enough to be her friend anymore. She hangs around with this other girl now and she's really nice too and I'm also friends with her but I feel as if she's taking my best friend away from me. She never hangs around with me at school anymore. We have been best friends for almost five years and I can't imagine losing the one person that actually understands me! I just can't bear it! I've tried to be someone else that is more like her but it doesn't work! We are still such good friends but I just think she's moving on from me and I can't bear to lose the one person that actually understands how I feel! We are so close and I can't imagine anything different! It's killing me not knowing what I have to do to make us better friends again and I just can't thinking about what I might've done wrong or something! It would be amazing if someone could help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I've been through similar situations. My best friend drifted away from me when I was in school, she became emo (when that brilliant trend was at its peek) and started hanging around and drinking in parks which I wasn't into. I remember feeling really upset because like you, we'd been friends for such a long time. We'd had so many great times, we used to do everything together and knew everything about us.

Eventually she got over it and we became close again but I can't say we ever returned to how we used to be. That's probably because I didn't see her as so close after that.

The thing is, as we grow we change as people. And what ties you together as children/ young teenagers doesn't also apply to when you're older. Your friend may get over it and realise how much of a good friend you are. But if she continues to drift apart, would you seriously want to be with someone like that anyway?

Whatever happens, you'll honestly get over it. It doesn't feel like it now, but I promise it'll get better. She'll either get over it or you'll make new friends more worthy of your time

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately i'm no good at advice, mostly because I have been in this exact same situation 3/4 years ago and I completely screwed it up with my best friend, lets just say we haven't spoken since then.

I honestly think that as much as you want to stop drifting apart you have to let it happen, I didn't I kept trying to get us to hang out more and when she'd ditch me for someone else or choose someone else over me I'd get all upset and that just made her annoyed with me, which made the problem worse and it just kept getting worse. I do understand how you feel she had been my best friend for years and we did everything together, i loved her to pieces and was completely heartbroken about the situation so I know how you feel! But sadly its one of those things. Your friend may be more understanding, but mine didn't get it if I tried to talk to her and explain what i was thinking/feeling-again it made it worse. Eventually i started to realise she had changed and wasn't the same person she used to be, basically she wasn't my best friend anymore. People change as they go through school and get older sadly anyway sorry for the sob story just don't do what I did!

Also never get the school involved, just please don't my mum contacted the school and they tried to 'help' but made everything a million times worse and resulted in Facebook blocking and general hatred of me. I also lost many other friends because of people 'taking sides', so just let it fade away and then at least you'll still be able to talk occasionally or just smile at each other - not get scowled at-which btw she still scowls at me when she passes me (we go to the same sixth form.) But it gets easier so don't worry, i have other great friends now, it gets better

ReputationRep:
    i would say talk to her about how you feel and if she understands you'll be closer than ever and if not you'll be able to make new friends. hope you do stay friends though as it is always painful to lose touch with people you care about

ReputationRep:
    I've been in exactly the same position as you: the person who was my best friend of 6 years is now someone I haven't spoken to in months, if not an entire year.

Without going into the ins and outs of my situation, all I'd say is that it has truly made me realise that a). Things happen for a reason, b). People grow apart and c). While it sucks, and it will hurt, like any relationship (if you get what I mean), it does get easier with time.

Maybe spend a bit of time focusing on your other friends? You might be surprised to find just how much better they are for you than she was / is

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately this happens with everyone, as you've seen from the above examples. Happened with me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    I can't say we ever returned to how we used to be. That's probably because I didn't see her as so close after that.

The thing is, as we grow we change as people. And what ties you together as children/ young teenagers doesn't also apply to when you're older. Your friend may get over it and realise how much of a good friend you are. But if she continues to drift apart, would you seriously want to be with someone like that anyway?

Whatever happens, you'll honestly get over it. It doesn't feel like it now, but I promise it'll get better. She'll either get over it or you'll make new friends more worthy of your time
    OP, that happened to me too, and for a while we liked each other too without expressing it to each other. And when the we were ready to confess, we both pulled back (not my choice) as she pulled back first so i had to, so it doesn't seem awkward or ruin the 'best-friend' relationship. - After that, we drifted apart, not close anymore but we still talk casually with chats lasting months and months with reply time average 2-4 hrs. and before it was, no matter where we were we would reply straight after.

It made me feel the same as you and i just couldn't get over, and gradually what i quoted ^ happened and whilst I'm still gutted that i did not confess to her about the love, it may have happened for a reason. The best advice was given by the person who i quoted. Nothing you can actually do, you'll eventually get over it. Thats what happened to me at least.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.