Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have some questions...

    1. I have an account with a bank but do not have a debit card. Do I just ask for one?

    2. Is there a fee to keep/every time I use the debit card?

    3. How does a debit card work exactly?
    I think it works like this... You have £100 in your bank account and so you can buy things until the £100 is used. That is it. There is no extra payment or anything.

    I do not plan on using any overdraft (if there even is one.)

    Now some questions that I'm not that curious about but you can answer anyways to be helpful:

    - Is there a fee for a credit card?

    - Which is better for a university student with no job, credit or debit card?

    I just got my passport and bill walked into HSBC answered a few questions, 3 days later it came by post

    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. You put money in the account. You spend your money. Think of it as a virtual piggy bank.

    Better to get a Debit card.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    If you already have a bank account, it may simply be a case of upgrading your account. For which you shouldn't need any ID for.

    There's no fee for using your card in shops in the UK. But some shops do charge if you spend under £x in a transaction.

    University students can apply for a student bank account. For which you'll get a debit card.

    You can use a debit card online too.

    if you're a student get a student account with a debit card and if you need it you can get a student overdraft which provided you stay within your limits won't charge you interest

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    When I turned 16 my bank account got upgraded automatically to one with a debit card.

    Son of 14 has had debit card for a year or two. If you have a current account as others have said you may just need to change the type of account. Probably best to pop into the bank and talk to them. No charges for using debit card. Make sure that you have an account you can bank on line for things like direct debits and BACS transfers. Just out of interest do parents not help with this kind of thing?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.