Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. I get full marks on all my homework's, I fully understand all of the topics, I can do the questions, but as soon as I take a test, I fail. I just did a mock C1 paper and I got an E. Everyone else goes B's and A's. It has really knocked my confidence. I have my resit tomorrow, and I've revised like crazy (again), but now the questions don't make sense as I'm too afraid I'm going to fail. I want at least a B, but I know I won't get it. I'm in despair, please help

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but i can honestly say, if you're getting Es in C1, i advise you to drop Maths. I'm getting As in C1 and finding C2 hard (partially because i havent revised for it). If you're having trouble with C1, bear in my mind you've got C2 and M1/S1 to do which are more harder.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=naxiv;53029591]Sorry but i can honestly say, if you're getting Es in C1, i advise you to drop Maths. I'm getting As in C1 and finding C2 hard (partially because i havent revised for it). If you're having trouble with C1, bear in my mind you've got C2 and M1/S1 to do which are more harder.[/QUOTE

I got an A in my C2 mock, I just can't do mock C1 papers
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by pleasehelpme333)
    I don't understand. I get full marks on all my homework's, I fully understand all of the topics, I can do the questions, but as soon as I take a test, I fail. I just did a mock C1 paper and I got an E. Everyone else goes B's and A's. It has really knocked my confidence. I have my resit tomorrow, and I've revised like crazy (again), but now the questions don't make sense as I'm too afraid I'm going to fail. I want at least a B, but I know I won't get it. I'm in despair, please help
    [QUOTE=pleasehelpme333;53029717]
    (Original post by naxiv)
    Sorry but i can honestly say, if you're getting Es in C1, i advise you to drop Maths. I'm getting As in C1 and finding C2 hard (partially because i havent revised for it). If you're having trouble with C1, bear in my mind you've got C2 and M1/S1 to do which are more harder.[/QUOTE

I got an A in my C2 mock, I just can't do mock C1 papers
    That's pretty bizarre... especially since you got an A in C2 which is much harder... are you just failing in actual exam papers taken in class, or are you finding past papers or practice questions hard too? Is there a particular topic or area you consistently find difficult? Or is it the lack of a calculator?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Chlorophile;53029751]

That's pretty bizarre... especially since you got an A in C2 which is much harder... are you just failing in actual exam papers taken in class, or are you finding past papers or practice questions hard too? Is there a particular topic or area you consistently find difficult? Or is it the lack of a calculator?
    I'm just failing exam papers in class. At home, I can get As and Bs in past papers, in actual class mock papers, I always fail.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in C1 mock and awaiting my S1 mock results back on tuesday, so I'm not sure if you're working hard enough maybe. Just literally do all the past papers because you get a sense of what style of questions they ask and they are totally different type of questions compared to the books questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jshep000)
    I got a B in C1 mock and awaiting my S1 mock results back on tuesday, so I'm not sure if you're working hard enough maybe. Just literally do all the past papers because you get a sense of what style of questions they ask and they are totally different type of questions compared to the books questions.
    I have done every past paper between 2009 and 2013, both January and June, I work very hard, and I didn't struggle up until I did one in class.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=pleasehelpme333;53029805]
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I'm just failing exam papers in class. At home, I can get As and Bs in past papers, in actual class mock papers, I always fail.
    Perhaps you're stressing out over it too much? If you go through the questions slowly, and think about it, rather than getting stressed out over it, you're probably less likely to fail.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    [QUOTE=pleasehelpme333;53029805]
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    What's the difference? When you're at home, do you check the mark scheme as you go alone? Or do you just stress out or panic in class?

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if you are thinking the questions are more complicated than they are? C1 overlaps a lot with GCSE A* material and if you are OK with C2 then that would be my first thought.

Where do you get stuck? Is it recognising which topic the question is about or actually completing the question?

Don't give up ... be positive and try to relax in the exam - you know the stuff so you can beat it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    I wonder if you are thinking the questions are more complicated than they are? C1 overlaps a lot with GCSE A* material and if you are OK with C2 then that would be my first thought.

Where do you get stuck? Is it recognising which topic the question is about or actually completing the question?

Don't give up ... be positive and try to relax in the exam - you know the stuff so you can beat it!
    I think it is a mixture of panicking and overthinking the questions. I find C2 perfectly bearable, I actually enjoy the sine and cosine questions, but in C1 papers I just seem to flip

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar position, but I was messing around until march before I realised I actually need an A in maths. You probably panic in class if you're doing fine at home. Speaking from experience, you've still got time, if you do flop the resit then speak to your teacher about it

ReputationRep:
    Heh I got an E in c1 mock too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in my first C1 mock, but then I got an A+ on my resit, I think you may just have had an 'off-paper' I'd do more mocks before you make any decisions.

ReputationRep:
    wow this brings back memories... lol

Glad i don't have to do that **** anymore :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect, you'll be fine just try and understand what they want from each question and ask yourself before you answer

ReputationRep:
    Just try to be calm. From what I can tell, it was just one paper. Don't stress out about it. As you do more mocks you'll find that every exam is essentially the same, but with different values.
    Good luck in your resit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd let you know, I resit it and took it in a room by myself, and got an A! (68/75). I assume its just the pressure which is something I'll need to work on. Thank you all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.