The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
We ickle rural bumpkins are supposedly not cut out for a scary city education. Basically they think that since we live in a rural area with a relatively low crime rate, we aren't really aware of the dangers that lurk down every dark alleyway as we stumble homewards from a bar in the middle of the city. So to combat this (combat hehe. sorry :rolleyes: ) they're getting some SAS people to take the seniors for some self defense classes, so that we will be more aware and prepared.
I just want the chance to show up all in black wearing a balaclava with eyes cut out :biggrin:
Reply 61
shiny
Why???!!!

Creutzfeldt-Jakob's Disease.
Reply 62
Acaila
We ickle rural bumpkins are supposedly not cut out for a scary city education. Basically they think that since we live in a rural area with a relatively low crime rate, we aren't really aware of the dangers that lurk down every dark alleyway as we stumble homewards from a bar in the middle of the city. So to combat this (combat hehe. sorry :rolleyes: ) they're getting some SAS people to take the seniors for some self defense classes, so that we will be more aware and prepared.
I just want the chance to show up all in black wearing a balaclava with eyes cut out :biggrin:

So... seriously??
Reply 63
Yes!!
Is there something really really weird about this?
(Bear in mind my dear Faboba that we're not all from the rough streets of Glasgow :biggrin:)
I think it's been offered to all schools in the area for their seniors.
Reply 64
Acaila

Hehe. I know a few martial arts instructors in London who run courses like this. Apparently plenty of City boys/girls are interested in these courses and they can make a fortune out of teaching them stuff that is very unlikely to help them if they are mugged!
shiny
Why???!!!

See this story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3645647.stm

so us sheltered city types are going to be coming up against SAS-trained Highlanders at uni...which is a little worrying
Reply 66
According to our upper school rector city people are supposed to know what to do in these situations :biggrin:.
Well if I get to Cambridge, I want to be on a staircase full of rugby players. With baseball bats! And maybe the occasional role-player with replica swords.
Reply 67
Alexander
See this story:

so us sheltered city types are going to be coming up against SAS-trained Highlanders at uni...which is a little worrying

Wow! That's the exact thing! Tain Academy is where I do my drama festivals some of the time.

And yes, we SAS trained Highlanders are going to kick some puny city wimp posterior :biggrin: Charging around in kilts and blue and white facepaint :biggrin:
Reply 68
Acaila
Wow! That's the exact thing! Tain Academy is where I do my drama festivals some of the time.

And yes, we SAS trained Highlanders are going to kick some puny city wimp posterior :biggrin: Charging around in kilts and blue and white facepaint :biggrin:

Screaming ...

FREEDOM
Reply 69
shiny
Screaming ...

FREEDOM

Ohhh that sounds so incredibly tempting :biggrin:. I suddenly can't wait to be a student :biggrin:
Reply 70
Alexander
See this story:

Oh for goodness sake! The worst you'd ever come across would be some half-assed drunken neds.

( For 'neds' substitute 'townie' or whatever word you use to describe schemies pished on merrydown and buckfast, sporting kappa tracksuits and burberry caps ).
Reply 71
Faboba
Oh for goodness sake! The worst you'd ever come across would be some half-assed drunken neds.

( For 'neds' substitute 'townie' or whatever word you use to describe schemies pished on merrydown and buckfast, sporting kappa tracksuits and burberry caps ).

Or a stabber :P
Neds I can deal with but not manic knife-wielding maniacs.
Reply 72
Acaila
Ohhh that sounds so incredibly tempting :biggrin:. I suddenly can't wait to be a student :biggrin:

If you did go running around with a kilt, blue face paint and screaming "FREEDOM!" I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be mugged! :smile: Muggers don't target nutcases!
Reply 73
shiny
If you did go running around with a kilt, blue face paint and screaming "FREEDOM!" I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be mugged! :smile: Muggers don't target nutcases!

LOL in that case even without the kilt and face paint I would be fine :biggrin:.
But I still think some macho rugby players in kilts would help :smile:.
Reply 74
Acaila
But I still think some macho rugby players in kilts would help :smile:.

They wouldn't look so macho in kilts!
Reply 75
Acaila
Or a stabber :P
Neds I can deal with but not manic knife-wielding maniacs.

Yes but knife-weilding maniacs aren't very common. With luck he should be caught, sentenced and rehabilitated by October. Or caught at least.

The good thing about neds is the only ones that are violent to bystanders are thirteen years olds or insanely drunk ones, neither of which pose a threat. Proper neds seem more interested in killing each other.
Reply 76
Methinks you'd be surprised :wink:
A man who can keep his machismo while in a skirt is a real man :biggrin:
Actually I think blokes look great in them :smile:
Reply 77
Acaila
Methinks you'd be surprised :wink:
A man who can keep his machismo while in a skirt is a real man :biggrin:
Actually I think blokes look great in them :smile:

Really? Maybe I should look into getting one? :smile:
Reply 78
Faboba
Yes but knife-weilding maniacs aren't very common. With luck he should be caught, sentenced and rehabilitated by October. Or caught at least.

The good thing about neds is the only ones that are violent to bystanders are thirteen years olds or insanely drunk ones, neither of which pose a threat. Proper neds seem more interested in killing each other.

Yeah, usually neds are all mouth and no substance. Luckily I've only had a couple of fights with them, and only then when they've been in a group and I've been on my own.
Reply 79
shiny

Completely off-topic, but have you heard about the William Wallace statue in Stirling? Apparently, the artists commissioned to do it just produced a statue of Mel Gibson, with 'FREEDOM' written large at the bottom. But because locals were so disgusted that Mel Gibson has taken the place of a national hero, the statue has had to be caged up to prevent damage from things chucked at it.

Oh, the irony. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending