Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Really? Maybe I should look into getting one?
    Definitely! Girls totally dig it Although they will likely be obsessed with checking if you're a real Scotsman. However that may be right up your street

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Completely off-topic, but have you heard about the William Wallace statue in Stirling? Apparently, the artists commissioned to do it just produced a statue of Mel Gibson, with 'FREEDOM' written large at the bottom. But because locals were so disgusted that Mel Gibson has taken the place of a national hero, the statue has had to be caged up to prevent damage from things chucked at it.

Oh, the irony.
    I think I did hear something about that (Stirling is where I was born). Most people are just annoyed that as soon as you mention William Wallace, everyone thinks of Mel Gibson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I think I did hear something about that (Stirling is where I was born). Most people are just annoyed that as soon as you mention William Wallace, everyone thinks of Mel Gibson.
    Can't think why. I love the idea that one of Scotland's national heroes is unavoidably associated with a possibly anti-semitic aussie midget.

On the subject of statues, does anyone know the horseman outside the modern art gallery in Glasgow? I /need/ to do that to a statue in Cambridge. Transfer a tradition so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! Girls totally dig it Although they will likely be obsessed with checking if you're a real Scotsman. However that may be right up your street
    Might be quite liberating.

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe I'm sure it is. I just wouldn't wear it during winter if I was you.
    BTW if you don't mind my asking, what college are you at?

(Original post by Faboba)
    Can't think why. I love the idea that one of Scotland's national heroes is unavoidably associated with a possibly anti-semitic aussie midget.

On the subject of statues, does anyone know the horseman outside the modern art gallery in Glasgow? I /need/ to do that to a statue in Cambridge. Transfer a tradition so to speak.
    Don't think I know it. Only one in Glasgow I can think of is the Dewar one that always has its glasses wrecked.

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe I'm sure it is. I just wouldn't wear it during winter if I was you. BTW if you don't mind my asking, what college are you at?
    Are you going to come running into my College screaming "Freedom!"

It's the big one next to Johns.

ReputationRep:
    I know that statue!!

It sums up Glaswegian humour so well - who needs words?

My friend's dad got lifted putting the cone up there once!
    I wonder how it would go down below the towering spires of Cambrdge...

ReputationRep:
    Hey if the Scots don't want the statute I'm sure the students of Cambridge can find a use for it!

ReputationRep:
    Have we another Scot on the forum? And one who appreciates Edgar Allen Poe?

(Original post by shiny)
    Are you going to come running into my College screaming "Freedom!"

It's the big one next to Johns.
    Trinity? :confused: I was just wondering because I know a bloke who does Engineering at Robinson. I'll come into your college yelling Freedom if you want me to

ReputationRep:
    Trinity? :confused: I was just wondering because I know a bloke who does Engineering at Robinson.
    Only know a couple of Robinson Engineers and they are in the fourth year.

I'll come into your college yelling Freedom if you want me to
    Nah. You'll never make it past Great Gate. Our SAS Porters will intercept and lock you away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Our SAS Porters will intercept and lock you away
    SAS porter? Damn. Wouldn't want to mess with that.
    How/where do colleges advertise the porter job is SAS people apply for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Only know a couple of Robinson Engineers and they are in the fourth year.
    Consider yourself lucky then

Nah. You'll never make it past Great Gate. Our SAS Porters will intercept and lock you away
    Muahahaha I can infiltrate anywhere with my balaclava and invisibility cloak!

ReputationRep:
    Muahahaha I can infiltrate anywhere with my balaclava and invisibility cloak!
    Highly sensitive noses these SAS Porters have. They can track you down on scent alone. No need for vision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Highly sensitive noses these SAS Porters have. They can track you down on scent alone. No need for vision.
    I'll throw a stink bomb in the porter's lodge first. Urgh, somebody set three off in the the one place at school today (6th year muckup day) Couldn't stop gagging all through geography

ReputationRep:
    Our porters are Greek gods, apparently.

Bless 'em!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Our porters are Greek gods, apparently.

Bless 'em!
    Have you hunted down the Night Stabber yet, Blissy The Night Stabber Slayer?

ReputationRep:
    And put a steak through their heart. Preferably filet mignon

ReputationRep:
    And put a steak through their heart. Preferably filet mignon
    Nah, that would be a waste of good meat. A pencil will do.

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Would a mechanical one do?
    Anyway I'm popping off now. Nighty night all!

ReputationRep:
    Very true. Would a mechanical one do?
    Anyway I'm popping off now. Nighty night all!
    Me catch some Zs too. Byebye.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Corpus Christi College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    Pembroke College Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.