Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    I'm surprised a medic is criticising a course which is more vocational / practical. Usually they're extolling their virtues. Again and again and again.
    I wouldn't say I do! I don't know much about the Education studies stuff, so won't comment on it. But I don't only think that vocational courses are the only ones worth it - besides, Medicine is different as a vocational course from many others. We only say stuff like that to wind up the NatScis

(Original post by d750)
    I'm surprised a medic is criticising a course which is more vocational / practical. Usually they're extolling their virtues. Again and again and again.
    Don't get me wrong, i meant medicine/vet and english are equal in an academic sense only.
    I think that courses like english and classics are a waste of time if the person then (invariably) goes into
    a) The City
    b) A law conversion course.

I mean, what a waste of time and money. All the degree ends up being is proof of how smart they are.
    J

(Original post by foolfarian)
    Don't get me wrong, i meant medicine/vet and english are equal in an academic sense only.
    I think that courses like english and classics are a waste of time if the person then (invariably) goes into
    a) The City

I mean, what a waste of time and money. All the degree ends up being is proof of how smart they are.
    J
    O, and point of night stabber note
    I will warn people that either
    a) I faced the night stabber tonight
    or
    b) Some townie c*nts are deliberately playing up to this scare

Some **** townie (skin head with bomber jacket and ciggie) starts tailing me on foot on silver street up near selwyn. A quick jog sees me at Newhnam, and he's no where in sight, so i forget about it.
    Then, just as i'm coming up on queens green, he bikes past me, does 180 in the road, and comes to a stop behind me (in the road) and ties up his show lace.
    so i go a t a fair pace, and make it to queens plodge just as he goes past me.
    he stops, dumps the bike on the path, and goes into the anchor.

Like i say, he might not have been stabby, but if he wasnt he was either a weirdo or playing up to it.
    J

ReputationRep:
    a) The City

J
    Yes, everyone doing an arts degree should have just done a GNVQ in food hygenie instead after their GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    Like i say, he might not have been stabby, but if he wasnt he was either a weirdo or playing up to it.
    There were some idiots arsing around by West Road after the concert tonight as well. Fairly sure none of them were stabby, but they were cycling on the pavement, crashing into people and generally pissing everyone off.

Yours sounds scary, but dunno if Mr. Stabby would have been so stupid and played such arrogant little games. Guess we'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    a) The City

J
    Are such courses by definition a waste of time simply because people don't get a career in them? I personally would like to think that I have learnt things at university other than those relating directly to my career.

ReputationRep:
    a) The City

J
    Yes - it's rather annoying. The general argument against your point of view being "any arts degree at Cam teaches you how to 'think' " etc. And I accept that lots of people change their mind as to what they want to work as whilst at University... But there are people who do ASNaC / Oriential studies etc who seem to automatically get fantastic training contracts ahead of law students! For the simple reason that their cv looks slightly more eclectic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Beauty therapy is also a respectable and accepted alternative vocational course.
    My school offers the wonderful sounding "Statistics and Survival Cookery" to sixth year students. :rolleyes:
    The scary thing is many supposedly intelligent (emphasis on the supposedly) people are taking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Are you "thesp" then Bob? I suppose a college with a lot of drama people would be fun.
    have been seen from time to time It's great the bars fairly lively and animated most of the time

But the *****iness of all those drama queens in one place :eek:
    Yeah but they're cute and adorable, so you ahve to love them, just don't get them started on the last play they read unless you are into that stuff ...

ReputationRep:
    My school offers the wonderful sounding "Statistics and Survival Cookery" to sixth year students. :rolleyes:
    The scary thing is many supposedly intelligent (emphasis on the supposedly) people are taking it.
    WHAT! You don't get to do Travel and Tourism at your school! That's outrageous ( you should complain ).

The number of people who stayed on to sixth year to resit English and Chemistry and either do some Mikey Mouse subject like T&T or SVS ( Social and Vocational Studies ) or take an Int 2 ( in sixth year??? Come on! ). Doesn't bear thinking about.

One of my.... ahem.... co-workers was bragging about how smart her boyfriend is the other day. ( 'He has to do, like, whole pages of sums' ). The champ is doing Sports Science at Glasgow Calley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    One of my.... ahem.... co-workers was bragging about how smart her boyfriend is the other day. ( 'He has to do, like, whole pages of sums' ). The champ is doing Sports Science at Glasgow Calley.
    Since you're laughing at her bragging, would you mind if I laugh at yours?

Hohoho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Since you're laughing at her bragging, would you mind if I laugh at yours?

Hohoho.
    Not at all.

( I'll defer to Mr Darcy on this one )

ReputationRep:
    Medicine.
    They sure as hell don't offer that with "Educational Studies" nonsense.
    Erm, obviously... you can't teach medicine in schools nor would you carry out educational based research in that field, it's a graduate only subject... you would have no need to study it with Education Studies. Although GNVQ's in medicine would be quite funny... you can see the 14 yr old's adding a whole new dimention to playing 'Doctors and Nurses' ;-)

My view is this
    Medicine, Vetrinary, Law, English are all equal, albeit in different fields.
    However English is certainly harder, and more academic than English with Educational Studies rubbish.
    Not wanting to be offencive - You are a medic, what do you know about Education? What makes someone good at a subject, will all due respect, you cannot tell from just meeting someone. That's the Admissions Peoples' Job.
    Education Studies is a Tripos created & run by the university - it creates the standards. Also it's a course that 'borrows' papers from many subjects, equally other faculties borrow it's it's papers - I don't know how you as an undergrad medic can challenge or be a judge of it's academic rigour. It's changed a lot from the old B.Ed hence why it's now a BA. A cambridge degree stands for academic excellence, not just entry grades. We are admitted for our potential in the subject that we have applied for. I'm sure you'd make a terrible ASNaC, but then again you weren't admited for that.

Why shouldn't Cambridge be involved in Education. It's a world leader in research into the area, and like it's other professional training subjects such as medcine and engineering, it's graduates are among the most highly skilled and able, hence desired. Also Oxford & Harvard have faculties of Education. explain please why Cambridge shouldn't?

For the most of us our teachers made it possible for us to be where we are today. Where would you like your children's teachers educated? Perhaps someone has a distinct lack of gratitude or a very big head? Could it be that foolfarian is prejudiced as most people interested in education come from non-traditional backgrounds? (think about it, how many middle class &/or public school kids with money want to a job with mediocre pay - sad but true?) Perhaps foolfarian couldn't score with education studies students he met ;-) ) I'm sorry i'm just trying to work out why you could be so biggoted, especially for someone who's going into a profession that is supposed to help people and claims to be 'a bit commie'. Some more equal than others i guess?

Hence why they should have a college like Homerton as part of Cambridge University. It would be much better suited to APU.
    So students who are reading for a wide variety of cambridge triposes should do so at a college that's part of APU? Homerton is a college, the Faculty of Education is a Faculty. You're a medic, even if you can't think you should be able to learn facts. If you mean that Education should be at APU, by your reckoning (vocational training) so should Engineering, Law, Medicine and Vetinary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob the dog)
    Also it's a course that 'borrows' papers from many subjects, equally other faculties borrow it's papers - I don't know how you as an undergrad medic can challenge or be a judge of it's academic rigour. It's changed a lot from the old B.Ed hence why it's now a BA. A cambridge degree stands for academic excellence, not just entry grades. We are admitted for our potential in the subject that we have applied for. I'm sure you'd make a terrible ASNaC, but then again you weren't admited for that.

Why shouldn't Cambridge be involved in Education. It's a world leader in research into the area, and like it's other professional training subjects such as medcine and engineering, it's graduates are among the most highly skilled and able, hence desired. Also Oxford & Harvard have faculties of Education. explain please why Cambridge shouldn't?
    <cringe>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    <cringe>
    meiow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    WHAT! You don't get to do Travel and Tourism at your school! That's outrageous ( you should complain ).

The number of people who stayed on to sixth year to resit English and Chemistry and either do some Mikey Mouse subject like T&T or SVS ( Social and Vocational Studies ) or take an Int 2 ( in sixth year??? Come on! ). Doesn't bear thinking about.

I know! TandT is all I ever wanted!
    Mind you my friend is doing 2 AHs with 2 Int 2s and an NC course. But she's weird. The AHs are French and music, the int 2s Gaelic and German and the NC Italian . She wants to do singing and heard languages were a good idea so she went overboard .
    Can you actually do SVS after standard grade? Our soc and voc neds get shunted into "Int 1 Life and Work" and "Accident Prevention Unit"
    Plus half the seniors seem to love int 2 media studies :rolleyes:

(Original post by Bob the dog)
    Erm, obviously... you can't teach medicine in schools nor would you carry out educational based research in that field, it's a graduate only subject... you would have no need to study it with Education Studies. Although GNVQ's in medicine would be quite funny... you can see the 14 yr old's adding a whole new dimention to playing 'Doctors and Nurses' ;-)

Not wanting to be offencive - You are a medic, what do you know about Education? What makes someone good at a subject, will all due respect, you cannot tell from just meeting someone. That's the Admissions Peoples' Job.
    Education Studies is a Tripos created & run by the university - it creates the standards. Also it's a course that 'borrows' papers from many subjects, equally other faculties borrow it's it's papers - I don't know how you as an undergrad medic can challenge or be a judge of it's academic rigour. It's changed a lot from the old B.Ed hence why it's now a BA. A cambridge degree stands for academic excellence, not just entry grades. We are admitted for our potential in the subject that we have applied for. I'm sure you'd make a terrible ASNaC, but then again you weren't admited for that.

For the most of us our teachers made it possible for us to be where we are today. Where would you like your children's teachers educated? Perhaps someone has a distinct lack of gratitude or a very big head? Could it be that foolfarian is prejudiced as most people interested in education come from non-traditional backgrounds? (think about it, how many middle class &/or public school kids with money want to a job with mediocre pay - sad but true?) Perhaps foolfarian couldn't score with education studies students he met ;-) ) I'm sorry i'm just trying to work out why you could be so biggoted, especially for someone who's going into a profession that is supposed to help people and claims to be 'a bit commie'. Some more equal than others i guess?

So students who are reading for a wide variety of cambridge triposes should do so at a college that's part of APU? Homerton is a college, the Faculty of Education is a Faculty. You're a medic, even if you can't think you should be able to learn facts. If you mean that Education should be at APU, by your reckoning (vocational training) so should Engineering, Law, Medicine and Vetinary.
    Sigh, i'll break it down for you. I know alot of people here, some smart, some not so smart. (this is of course by cambridge standard, even the worst here are still intrinsically some of the smartest in the country).
    However, in my 3rd year i had the WONDERFUL opportunity to have Homerton students in my subject. (like you say, they take cambridge papers too) and each was fricking stupid. I spent 2 weeks wasting my time in a subject frequented by the most stupid questions before finally giving up and changing course.
    I probably would have aced the course if i stayed on, but wheres the fun in that. After a week i was so sick of the cringingly slow pace that i had to swap to something else (as it happens i accidently swapped to an outrageously hard course which i now regret...)
    But like anyone whos had a supervision with someone who lacks the ability to grasp the simplest of principles (i.e the sort of stuff you can learn on page 1 of a book) will understand just how annoying it can be.
    And the APU thing refered to the standard...

ReputationRep:
    It Amazes Me The Ability Of People To Get Off The Subject!

Look At The Title Of This Thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette)
    Yes - it's rather annoying. The general argument against your point of view being "any arts degree at Cam teaches you how to 'think' " etc. And I accept that lots of people change their mind as to what they want to work as whilst at University... But there are people who do ASNaC / Oriential studies etc who seem to automatically get fantastic training contracts ahead of law students! For the simple reason that their cv looks slightly more eclectic!
    Who's for the BA in 'Tranferable Skills' (joke)

ReputationRep:
    However, in my 3rd year i had the WONDERFUL opportunity to have Homerton students in my subject. (like you say, they take cambridge papers too) and each was fricking stupid. I spent 2 weeks wasting my time in a subject frequented by the most stupid questions before finally giving up and changing course.
    <snip arrogant person rant on how good he is...>
    And the APU thing refered to the standard...
    I think our medic friend really has failed to understand the difference between Homerton College (as in college that admits for many subjects) and the Faculty of Education (a faculty that specalises in a subject) It's all Cambridge University. (sorry about the repetition)

Homerton is a College, I'm as bright as the next person doing my subject, as are the rest of students reading for any the large number of triposes that you can read at the college. The college admits by the same criteria as the rest of the university, and gets results in line with the rest of the other colleges.
    If you are refering to Education Studies Students, then you'll find they are spread at most of the colleges, and are admited by the same critieria everywhere.

If you find some people's questioning irritating, I'm sorry, but who's not been in a situation where all questions are always pertinent to everyone. Different people come from different backgrounds. Esp. in Cam where people switch tripos. You'll also find that those wanting to be teachers generally are quite humble people, not always as self confident, and don't feel the need to be blaze about their knowledge? Perhaps that's what you are seeing. It's quite clear you are fairly full of yourself and expect others to be like that? The teaching lot aren't stupid people, just look at their marks at end of year. They reach the same standards as others taking papers as part of another tripos or when other triposes take education studies papers.

If anything you are sighting nothing but arrogance, and a prejudice against either an instution that has it roots in teaching, or against those who wish to teach. All you are doing is perpetuating the image of medics being upthemselves and thinking themselves better than others.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.