Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay so I'm short and thin and apparently no amount of eating and lack of exercise (not deliberate) will make me put on weight.
    Not looking for a direct route to Diabetes, but just a bit more on me would be nice - ideally 0.5-1 stone
    Any foods in particular that would do the job? I guess in the healthiest way possible (so not just junk food as marvellous as that would be)

(Slightly weird thread I know)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could try to eat more red meat/more nuts and protein in general along with a good mix of dairy products

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pints and pints of whole milk.

ReputationRep:
    There is no point getting fat, you need more muscle. Fat is bad for you especially visceral fat around the organs you can't see. Do excercise to gain muscle and definition, don't turn into a someone with a pot belly and skinny arms and legs.

ReputationRep:
    What's your current diet like?

I was in hospital on a weight gain diet, so saw a dietitian regularly. Obviously it will vary for different people, but this is an example meal plan and since we were in hospital it was a healthy diet aimed at gaining weight. Our meal plans were like this:

Double breakfast (500kcal) - e.g. cereal and 150ml milk and 2x toast (with topping e.g. butter and jam, peanut butter), and a fruit portion (either fruit, fruit salad, sultanas etc on cereal, or fruit juice)

Double snack in morning - this meant 300-400kcal. A single snack was 150-200kcal. Could have been e.g. 3 biscuits, a packet of sweets or a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, some nuts, a Nutrigrain bar, 2x toast/crumpets/etc. For double snacks we'd usually have 300ml milk with one of the above, or a double snack could be a higher calorie snack e.g. a slice of cake, a big cookie, a pastry, etc

Lunch (400-500kcal) - e.g. 2x toast with butter, baked beans and salad, jacket potato with 1 topping and salad, a sandwich/wrap/pitta with filling (including fat portion) e.g. cheese, tuna, salmon, chicken, ham and salad, 2 veggie sausages with couscous, etc etc

Light pudding after lunch (150-200kcal) - e.g. a yoghurt, Muller Rice, 2 scoops of ice cream, tinned fruit and custard

Double snack in afternoon (same as above)

Dinner (500-600kcal) - pretty normal dinners e.g. spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, shepherd's pie and veg, fishcakes, stuffed peppers, roast dinners, curry, chilli, etc etc.

Main pudding (300-400kcal) - something like a fruit crumble/pie, rice pudding & jam, slice of cheesecake, fruit tart, sponge & custard, lemon meringue pie etc etc with 1 scoop of ice cream

Double snack at night (same as above)

That's just an example of a typical weight gain diet, but I hope it helps a bit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.