Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I worry about grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm in year 10. I usually in tests get between 82-88% (most tests, english and classics maybe 76+ lol) I'm doing IGCSE mainly. If I keep this up (and improve english and classics) do you reckon I could mostly A* in GCSE/ IGCSE's? I'm taking 11 right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guywithabigdream)
    Hey guys, I'm in year 10. I usually in tests get between 82-88% (most tests, english and classics maybe 76+ lol) I'm doing IGCSE mainly. If I keep this up (and improve english and classics) do you reckon I could mostly A* in GCSE/ IGCSE's? I'm taking 11 right now.

Totally... the trick is to frequently revisit what you are studying - especially if you have terminal exams in Year 11. Making revision resources now is useful but a sustained approach over the next 18m (especially when you start new topics) is essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzletazzle)
    Totally... the trick is to frequently revisit what you are studying - especially if you have terminal exams in Year 11. Making revision resources now is useful but a sustained approach over the next 18m (especially when you start new topics) is essential.
    I've demo been trying to make notes, i've just been caught up in revision lately so they had to be put on a halt. But with the test results im getting now, do you reckon i could get A* in a lot of subjects? I know you don't know lol, but any help is appreciated.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Keep your revision consistent. Make sure you keep revisiting your notes to keep your mind fresh. Complete as many practise questions as you can and see if your teacher/tutor can mark them for you and advise you on how to improve.

It's difficult to say if you will get mostly A*'s by just reading what you've provided us. However, by the looks of it you're achieving pretty good grades so far and hopefully this will continue!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, though the grade boundaries matter http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2014.PDF or https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ade_boundaries

worth looking up (or find your exam board)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-8576161.html

Good revision stuff

For simply remembering stuff
    1. Note making (e.g. read text, make 10 key points, try to rewrite text then compare)
    2. Q+A with a friend (after note making)

For essay writing
    3. Reverse engineering (get 'perfect' answer, deconstruct by making noted, rewrite and compare, make revision card with key concepts / 'point' of each paragraph for essay'
    4. Timed exam questions (be brutal with yourself in terms of timings and ask a teacher or friend to mark)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You seem to be doing well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent18)
    Keep your revision consistent. Make sure you keep revisiting your notes to keep your mind fresh. Complete as many practise questions as you can and see if your teacher/tutor can mark them for you and advise you on how to improve.

It's difficult to say if you will get mostly A*'s by just reading what you've provided us. However, by the looks of it you're achieving pretty good grades so far and hopefully this will continue!
    Thanks man! Yeah, I've checked the boundaries and stuff, by the looks of it im set haha (for A*) I dunno, I just want some reassurance more detail would be:

Edexcel IGCSE = English Lang+Lit, Triple science, Maths, ICT (I think)
    AQA GCSE = Classical Civ, Spanish
    OCR (Not sure if IGCSE or GCSE) = RS (mandatory)
    AQA IGCSE = History

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-8576161.html

Good revision stuff

For simply remembering stuff
    1. Note making (e.g. read text, make 10 key points, try to rewrite text then compare)
    2. Q+A with a friend (after note making)

For essay writing
    3. Reverse engineering (get 'perfect' answer, deconstruct by making noted, rewrite and compare, make revision card with key concepts / 'point' of each paragraph for essay'
    4. Timed exam questions (be brutal with yourself in terms of timings and ask a teacher or friend to mark)
    Thanks man! I'll definitely be looking into those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    You seem to be doing well
    Thank you A* worthy, do you reckon?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thank you A* worthy, do you reckon?
    Absolutely no way of knowing at this point. Do your best and you'll get what you deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Absolutely no way of knowing at this point. Do your best and you'll get what you deserve.
    I understand, thank you though!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks man! Yeah, I've checked the boundaries and stuff, by the looks of it im set haha (for A*) I dunno, I just want some reassurance more detail would be:

Edexcel IGCSE = English Lang+Lit, Triple science, Maths, ICT (I think)
    AQA GCSE = Classical Civ, Spanish
    OCR (Not sure if IGCSE or GCSE) = RS (mandatory)
    AQA IGCSE = History
    You're welcome.

One bit of advice I'd give you is not to be overconfident. Fair enough you've done really well in your practise tests, but this doesn't mean that you can relax. Being complacent will hinder your grades greatly. Make sure you keep up with your revision and continue to do well in tests. Ask yourself, "how can I get the extra 10-20% in tests so I can walk away with 100%?". Keep going and strive to get the best results you can - it's literally all down to your motivation and attitude towards your studies.

Keep up the good work.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.

One bit of advice I'd give you is not to be overconfident. Fair enough you've done really well in your practise tests, but this doesn't mean that you can relax. Being complacent will hinder your grades greatly. Make sure you keep up with your revision and continue to do well in tests. Ask yourself, "how can I get the extra 10-20% in tests so I can walk away with 100%?". Keep going and strive to get the best results you can - it's literally all down to your motivation and attitude towards your studies.

Keep up the good work.
    I completely understand, last thing i want are bad grades! I sure do appreciate your help I'll be sure never to be overconfident. My life is just messed up and studying is all I have

ReputationRep:
    N°1 advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naxiv)
    N°1 advice
    I'll be sure to keep that in mind
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I completely understand, last thing i want are bad grades! I sure do appreciate your help I'll be sure never to be overconfident. My life is just messed up and studying is all I have
    I'm sure you'll do fine. From the little information you've given, it seems you're pretty motivated so you've already overcome the hard part. The easier part is learning the content.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll do fine. From the little information you've given, it seems you're pretty motivated so you've already overcome the hard part. The easier part is learning the content.
    That makes it sound so easy xD I'm going to throw all I have at these next 18m. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    What students fail at is revisiting topics, so when May arrives, everything will make chronological sense.
    I'll be sure to keep that in mind
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    That makes it sound so easy xD I'm going to throw all I have at these next 18m. Thank you.
    Don't be fooled learning the content is not easy, just easier than getting all the motivation to dedicate time to studying .

Make sure you're consistent and take regular breaks. Don't go on overdrive and end up tiring yourself out.

If you need any more help, just ask.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.