Turn on thread page Beta

M303 - Non-Dom Motion watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M303 - Non-Dom Motion, The Rt. Hon. Rakas MP
    This House believes that 'trickle down economics' - that is the concept that attracting the super rich benefits the nation as a whole, needs a helping hand from the state to maximise the benefit of having the super rich in the UK. This House believes that parliament should employ a series of regulations designed to better the lot of the masses while at the same making every effort possible to attract the super-rich.

In the 2011-2012 tax year 123,000 people registered for non-dom status (the practice of excluding their overseas income from UK taxes) and paid an annual charge of £50k per year for the privilege. I recommend that non-dom status be linked to a requirement to employ a minimum of 100 people full time in the UK. Any drop in the receipts from the annual charge resulting from a smaller number of non-doms will more than likely be made up for via income tax receipts from employment along with reduced welfare expenditure.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1fd89cde-8...#axzz3OvW1dGj1
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'd rather have a motion that's completely against 'trickle down economics'. This is a hedge which isn't going to do a great deal to solve the problem.

Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    We don't really save on welfare under RI though, do we?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I'd rather have a motion that's completely against 'trickle down economics'. Having said that, I'm fine with a motion that forces the super-wealthy to give back more to society, but I'm not entirely sure if this is the best way. This doesn't really look like it's tackling the problem head-on, more like a hedge.
    I'm a Tory that believes one can have their cake and eat it. Such a motion was never going to come from me.

(Original post by O133)
    We don't really save on welfare under RI though, do we?
    That's true and i should have thought of it. But a motion is not binding anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    That's true and i should have thought of it. But a motion is not binding anyway.
    In which case I'm fairly undecided.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot argue with the logic behind this. While the trickle-down theory doesn't solve every problem it is a welcome boost to have. I also prefer supply-side approaches to some social market theory.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd rather have a motion that's completely against 'trickle down economics'. This is a hedge which isn't going to do a great deal to solve the problem.
    I also generally disagree with the trickle-down rhetoric but I think what's proposed here will help the country.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Would we not get more tax form there people is we got rid of non-dom status.

100 people is far too many, 10 yes but 100 is far too much.

Also NAY, a thousand times NAY! I'd rather they all left for the ME/Asia than continue to be non-doms in the UK and employ 100 for far much more than their tax bill may be.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I also generally disagree with the trickle-down rhetoric but I think what's proposed here will help the country.
    If we're going to make a change to the law concerning this matter, we might as well make a change that actually tackles the root problem rather than trying to make the current situation a little bit less bad.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If we're going to make a change to the law concerning this matter, we might as well make a change that actually tackles the root problem rather than trying to make the current situation a little bit less bad.
    When I see that legislation I may very well vote for it - I'll even help draft it, in the mean time I'll vote for making the current situation a bit less bad.

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Just get rid of the non dom status altogether

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    100 people is far too many, 10 yes but 100 is far too much.

Also NAY, a thousand times NAY! I'd rather they all left for the ME/Asia than continue to be non-doms in the UK and employ 100 for far much more than their tax bill may be.
    Actually I think that 100 seems too few, 1,000 seems a better number and 10:eek: that isn't even a drop in the ocean. It's a single water molecule or maybe just a hydrogen atom.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.