Would you date a British Pakistani? Does ethnicity or religion matter more? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Often, ethnicity and religion are often taken hand in hand. For example, many British Pakistani's are Muslim.

BUT, do somebody's
  • ethnicity
  • religion (and thus political views)

matter to you? Which one matters the most?

I.e. I'm a non-religious, very liberal British Pakistani male. I'm fairly average looking and my manner is polite - a little silly at the worst of times. Would you rather date me if I was a Muslim and deeply conservative (e.g. oppose gay marriage, abortion etc.) but white, or as I am right now?
SonofPeace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would but religion is what matters more to me.

As a firm atheist I find it hard to get along with people who are outwardly religious. As to your ethnicity that doesn't factor in at all. I would gladly date a British Pakistani or any other ethnicity if I found them attractive both physically and through their temperament.
9823899s89jojs
Badges: 3
Report 4 years ago
Religion would matter, but only because I doubt I'm compatible with somebody who has a completely different mindset to me.
jenkinsear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Often, ethnicity and religion are often taken hand in hand. For example, many British Pakistani's are Muslim.

BUT, do somebody's
  • ethnicity
  • religion (and thus political views)

matter to you? Which one matters the most?

I.e. I'm a non-religious, very liberal British Pakistani male. I'm fairly average looking and my manner is polite - a little silly at the worst of times. Would you rather date me if I was a Muslim and deeply conservative (e.g. oppose gay marriage, abortion etc.) but white, or as I am right now?
Religion is a big issue. I would never date a muslim as a woman because of how women are treated in Islam.

I would also be wary of ethnicity if I thought there were likely to be culture clashes because of it. A massive example would be dating someone of a different race whose family would have an issue with that- having had to be a "secret" girlfriend for years because I happened to be the wrong colour/religion I would never go there again.
Oxocubism
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it still matters but they (women for me, so you wouldn't get it haha) don't have to be british. if anything it's a bonus if they're foreign because both standard middle class Brits and working class brits are somewhat annoying. However, I have been out with a Muslim woman who was religious, but for some reason was up for seeing a non muslim guy. I ended it in the end because the religion thing annoyed me. These days I don't think I would exclude girls based on race that much, but I would prefer it if they are white or at least half white. I don't really know why exactly, subconscious racism maybe? who cares, it's my penis.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just stop. Slap yourself across the face and ask yourself the question.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by jenkinsear)
Religion is a big issue. I would never date a muslim as a woman because of how women are treated in Islam.

I would also be wary of ethnicity if I thought there were likely to be culture clashes because of it. A massive example would be dating someone of a different race whose family would have an issue with that- having had to be a "secret" girlfriend for years because I happened to be the wrong colour/religion I would never go there again.
Would it be a "culture clash" if my parent's had disowned me already, e.g. for leaving the faith? You wouldn't have to be secret, but I'd have no family. If it leads to marriage, that means no in-laws and no grandparents for kids.
jenkinsear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Would it be a "culture clash" if my parent's had disowned me already, e.g. for leaving the faith? You wouldn't have to be secret, but I'd have no family. If it leads to marriage, that means no in-laws and no grandparents for kids.
I could cope with that. You'd have escaped and not be condemning the bigotry by being unwilling to tell your parents the truth.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Someone's race wouldn't bother me but their religious beliefs would. I personally wouldn't date anyone who was a follower of any religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username927016
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Religion is definitely more important, I mean I'm similar to you although I'm British Bengal not Pakistani. You just have to be reasonably good looking, take care of yourself, are friendly & have confidence Family can be problematic, but someone people will defy them anyway.
Anonymous8374
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would I want to have a half breed Pakistani baby and destroy my own people?
Grantland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Religion matters if she makes it matter. I'm fine with dating someone who believes in Allah, God, Yahweh, Thor, Zeus, Cthulhu, it doesn't matter, but the moment you try to convert/sacrifice me, it's over.
Messiah Complex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It wouldn't bother me.
Borgia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous8374)
Because Asian women are attractive?
Borgia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Grantland)
Religion matters if she makes it matter. I'm fine with dating someone who believes in Allah, God, Yahweh, Thor, Zeus, Cthulhu, it doesn't matter, but the moment you try to convert/sacrifice me, it's over.
What if she tries to make your child worship Ra
Grantland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Borgia)
What if she tries to make your child worship Ra
So long as he doesn't skip school to praise the sun, then I have no quarrel.
pocahontas lol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ethnicity, no.
Religion, yes.
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Grantland)
Agreed. I'd never force my beliefs on a partner and I wouldn't expect them to do so to me either - I'd just expect a mutual respect.

Ethnicity doesn't matter at all either.
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow ive stumbled across a thread where no ones said anything stupid about religion yet, keep it up guys
al_94
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous8374)
Go back to Stormfront.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (224)
72.49%
Jeremy Hunt (85)
27.51%

Watched Threads