Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should my Muslim friend and I travel to Paris this week? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wondered whether others think it's a good idea, or not. I'm white and not religious but my friend is Muslim and she wears a headscarf, so it's obvious to strangers that she's Muslim. We're both female and 18/19 and have had this trip planned for a while but recent events have made us question whether we should go. She's scared she'll get abuse in the streets as she recently got racial comments in other European cities and Paris is likely to be much worse considering what has happened. Any thoughts? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can't she take her hijab off for the duration of the trip?

ReputationRep:
    Dont go, im being serious my Muslim friend lives there, hes telling me stories of gangs coming to muslim areas at night to cause trouble

ReputationRep:
    Go and have a nice time. Your going to France not Russia.

ReputationRep:
    No. Unless you want to get attacked & end up as a topic on TSR with 3 replies, with one of those replies saying "she should have worn a Poppy Hijab".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsp96)
    Any thoughts? Thanks
    Asking a question of this nature on TSR is likely to attract a lot of fear mongering and trolling comments. Having said that, there are plenty of other nicer, more tolerant places than Paris in the world! Do you have anywhere else you would like to visit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    "she should have worn a Poppy Hijab".
    I think that might not work, I think they use the blue cornflower, not the red poppy, for remembrance, so a poppy hijab may not be recognised for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotMe)
    Asking a question of this nature on TSR is likely to attract a lot of fear mongering and trolling comments. Having said that, there are plenty of other nicer, more tolerant places than Paris in the world! Do you have anywhere else you would like to visit?
    Better safe than sorry m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I think that might not work, I think they use the blue cornflower, not the red poppy, for remembrance, so a poppy hijab may not be recognised for what it is.
    ... although, having said that, I would go in her position. Smile all the time and show you are friendly and not scared, and few people will be difficult. That's something you have to learn how to do when you're English and abroad. Just don't go out in non-touristy areas at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orphan_black)
    Can't she take her hijab off for the duration of the trip?
    Why should she have to take her hijab off because of other idiots?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't.

ReputationRep:
    We would only be going to touristy areas but my only worry is what might happen on the streets. She's a strict Muslim so can't take her headscarf off... It's a one off trip so it's just bad timing really

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for it. Do you realise that there are hundreds of thousands of people wearing hijab in France? France has one of the biggest hijabi's population in Europe. Surely hundreds of thousands can't be abused on daily basis after what happened?! If you look at the recent protests, both Muslims and non-Muslims are protesting together 'united' as they say. French people are very nice, I am sure you and your friend would be okay.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go if I was you. If you stick to touristy areas then I doubt you'll get much abuse.

Even if you do it shouldn't spoil your trip. Have a nice time.

As long as she doesn't wear a veil I think she'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I want to go unless there are attacks on Muslims specifically in Paris before we go, in which case I'd understand that she wouldn't want to go. Let's hope it works out okay!

ReputationRep:
    All the people saying no in this thread, wow. Seriously, it will be the safest time to go. France for the foreseeable future will be full of intelligence, police and armed forces personnel.

As long as you stay within the general tourist areas, you'll be perfectly fine. And even in the urban areas, chances are you'll have a great time.

Don't allow terrorism to change your life. That's what they want.

ReputationRep:
    It's seriously fine. I live in France. People are getting on with their normal lives and that includes women who wear veils. Most people in France are very tolerant and won't look at your friend any differently. Go and enjoy yourselves!

ReputationRep:
    What a silly question.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go. The last time me and my family went to Paris in 2013, we got some dirty looks and my mum and sister don't even wear the hijab. I can't imagine how bad it would be now for Muslims especially those who wear the hijab after the charlie whatever thingy.

ReputationRep:
    What's the worst that could happen?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.