Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm bored, and I thought I'd ask people: Which 6 unis do you think you'll apply to and for what? You guys started thinking about it yet?

ReputationRep:
    My equal favourites right now are Edinburgh and Sussex. I'm also interested in Durham and York. I'm still looking into it of course, but I don't know where else I'd like to apply for yet.
    I want to apply for English Language and Linguistics (Though the Linguistics department at Durham is closing)

ReputationRep:
    This time last year I had no clue what to do! I'm impressed with everyone that knows what they want to do already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    This time last year I had no clue what to do! I'm impressed with everyone that knows what they want to do already!
    Well we can't all be as organised as me hehe. I'll probably change my mind a trillion zillion times between now and Sep anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Well we can't all be as organised as me hehe. I'll probably change my mind a trillion zillion times between now and Sep anyway!
    I've been pretty decided on subject at least for a while now, heh.

Where do you want to apply?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm bored, and I thought I'd ask people: Which 6 unis do you think you'll apply to and for what? You guys started thinking about it yet?
    Lol, I've practically decided already. My school is big on the whole uni thing, you we've been told to start thinking. Basically I want to do English with a year abroad and not many places so this so it has helped me narrow down my options!

At the moment I'm thinking of:
    Exeter - English with year in N America
    Nottingham - English and American studies with yr in NA
    Birmingham - same as notts
    UEA - American and English literature with yr in NA
    York - English and comparative literature

Then I have one more choice...maybe Cardiff or Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Either Maths and Philosophy at Oxford or Computer Science at Cambridge. I really don't care what other universities I apply to. Imperial? Nottingham? Warwick? I'll probably just pick at random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I've been pretty decided on subject at least for a while now, heh.

Where do you want to apply?
    Umm... I'm thinking Economics at Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Newcastle and Cardiff and Land economy at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I'll probably just pick at random.
    That's the spirit!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking Cardiff, Newcastle, Notts and Cam for medicine and then I have to make my mind up for my other 2 choices... whether to study a chem/bio based degree or go for something in the humanities??? And whether I'd even accept an offer on one of those 2 courses should I be rejected for medicine by all the others..............

!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    I'm thinking Cardiff, Newcastle, Notts and Cam for medicine and then I have to make my mind up for my other 2 choices... whether to study a chem/bio based degree or go for something in the humanities??? And whether I'd even accept an offer on one of those 2 courses should I be rejected for medicine by all the others.
    Ooo yay 4 of our uni courses are the same! Might bump into you one day

ReputationRep:
    Ooo yay 4 of our uni courses are the same! Might bump into you one day
    And I have three the same...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Classics at uni and I'm thinking about applying to KCL, Birmingham, UCL, Manchester and Nottingham. I'll definitely be applying to Oxford, but I doubt I'll get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    And I have three the same...
    Yay!!!

ReputationRep:
    This is related loosely to this thread..

But should I be annoyed at this? I've been rambling annoyingly about doing English Language and Linguistics at uni. First I was raving about going to Edinburgh, now Sussex is added to that. I've spent ages researching it, prospectuses, emails to the universities, talking at length to my English teachers.. Basically, I've been sure about this for a good while. But now my friend (who is nice in small doses but, believe me, can be very clingy and annoying, and gets paranoid about what people are saying and takes things the wrong way...) is really into doing Language and Linguistics at the same unis I want to. She did this a few months back, getting into doing anthropology at unis another friend wanted to go to.

Basically, it feels like she doesn't want to put in the work herself, or find her own passion in life, her own area of interest.

Or am I taking it completely the wrong way; being totally unfair?

Sorry for the veering-off-topic ramble.

ReputationRep:
    I think i may apply to KCL, UCL, Imperial, UEA. But i'm still deciding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I think i may apply to KCL, UCL, Imperial, UEA. But i'm still deciding!
    Keeping it in London then

ReputationRep:

Ah, but UEA is East Anglia.. But not too far, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    This is related loosely to this thread..

But should I be annoyed at this? I've been rambling annoyingly about doing English Language and Linguistics at uni. First I was raving about going to Edinburgh, now Sussex is added to that. I've spent ages researching it, prospectuses, emails to the universities, talking at length to my English teachers.. Basically, I've been sure about this for a good while. But now my friend (who is nice in small doses but, believe me, can be very clingy and annoying, and gets paranoid about what people are saying and takes things the wrong way...) is really into doing Language and Linguistics at the same unis I want to. She did this a few months back, getting into doing anthropology at unis another friend wanted to go to.

Basically, it feels like she doesn't want to put in the work herself, or find her own passion in life, her own area of interest.

Or am I taking it completely the wrong way; being totally unfair?

Sorry for the veering-off-topic ramble.
    Maybe she really is interested in those subjects, but I don't know. I'd be annoyed though if my mate applied to do the same subject at the same unis as me

ReputationRep:
    Probably! But i want to move out too so i still don't know.... UEA isn't in london though.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.