Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I've applied for Manchester and am wondering whether there are any single parents that are able to share their experience. I'm going to be moving out of my hometown for the first time with a four-year-old in tow and am very interested to hear about schools and private accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Not a parent myself but do know a few from courses/socializing, one with a child the same age. It does not seem to be a large burdon on their education at UoM as far as I notice. Some parents are local and have local family support, so may be different to your experience moving towns.

The University itself offers halls for families, and has a strong councelling/support service (which I have good experience with) to help. It might be useful to give them a call/have a chat for advice on studying in manchester with a young child in tow, as every persons situation is unique, so there is little general advice anyone can give that may be useful.

The student union at Manchester is also very powerful and resourceful, and can offer support/advice through their specialized advice services. It also offers the means to join with others in similar situations to provide support/advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazystudent321)
    Not a parent myself but do know a few from courses/socializing, one with a child the same age. It does not seem to be a large burdon on their education at UoM as far as I notice. Some parents are local and have local family support, so may be different to your experience moving towns.

The University itself offers halls for families, and has a strong councelling/support service (which I have good experience with) to help. It might be useful to give them a call/have a chat for advice on studying in manchester with a young child in tow, as every persons situation is unique, so there is little general advice anyone can give that may be useful.

The student union at Manchester is also very powerful and resourceful, and can offer support/advice through their specialized advice services. It also offers the means to join with others in similar situations to provide support/advice.
    Thank you I feel a little reassured already. I've heard great things about mature student facilities and support at Manchester so I have everything crossed for an offer. Unfortunately my interview isn't until March and I think all the family accommodation will have gone by then. Perhaps I'll try a phone call on Monday to see if I can start an application before I've had an offer. After all - Shy kids don't get sweets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlejop)
    Thank you I feel a little reassured already. I've heard great things about mature student facilities and support at Manchester so I have everything crossed for an offer. Unfortunately my interview isn't until March and I think all the family accommodation will have gone by then. Perhaps I'll try a phone call on Monday to see if I can start an application before I've had an offer. After all - Shy kids don't get sweets!
    Glad to help, yes the mature student facilities are a big part of why UoM is such a favoured university. I personally haven't experienced them as a UG, however the amount of older staff and mature PG students I have come to know do love this university for its resources and research/FE potential.

The deadline for offer confirmation is around March iirc, so they aren't likely to start offering them all out straight away or before that. I know Manchester has a 'guaranteed room' policy for UG accomodation (I fell into that criteria luckily) so may have a similar policy regarding family accomodation. There is always private (which is a bit cheaper usually) and will still allow you use of all the uni's support.

I would definitely give them a call to ask, I had to organize accomodation literally last minute, and had finance/loan issues (all lastminute disorganization on my part), and everyone was very helpful with forwarding deadlines, following things up, and helping me out as long as I kept them up to date. Good luck with your interview!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.