Turn on thread page Beta

I think my friend is depressed watch

Announcements

Hi everyone - just not very sure what to do :s

So me and some of our friends have noticed that my friend (and flatmate) is basically showing a lack of motivation with his studies (he hands everything in late, if at all) and doesn't seem to care, he spends a ridiculous amount of time in bed and hardly goes to uni unless he's FORCED. On numerous occasions we've spoke to him about how he can't carry on being so lazy or it's going to end badly but now we're starting to see there might be more too it. This just sounds like general student behavior but it's at such an extreme that it's hard to explain.

Socially, he doesn't seem closed off and he's willing to go out/chat and seems perfectly happy, it's just when it comes to university or anything that requires long term effort like getting a job that he shows these symptoms. It's cost him some really great opportunities like studying abroad just cause he didn't hand in applications.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should or how to confront him about it and as he's the sort of person who will probably brush it off like it's nothing, so what do we do then? We're getting worried about him.

Thanks for taking the time to read this essay.

ReputationRep:
    I think sit down and have a chat with him because honestly, if you don't and it gets worse you're only going to blame yourself

ReputationRep:
    Maybe gently approach the subject of how he feels about his life. See if you can get him to open up. When I was severely depressed, my friends noticed it after months, and one of them told me about the problems in his life. I responded really well to that, and started opening up because there was less shame in my mind about my issues.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.