Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suspension of studies at Masters, advice please. Watch

Hi there,

Just for a quick reference I'm a UK student who is self funding (with a bank loan-professional career development loan) a masters degree which is at a university that is far away from home, which means I'm meant to be living at uni.
    I've been struggling with my mental health a lot this year (depression and anxiety) and it has come to a point where I have been unable to keep up with the workload and have gotten extensions on all pieces of work (and then extensions on my extensions which I feel really lousy about) and I've had my exams deferred. My mental health is bad at the moment and I don't know what to do with regards to my course. I am at the point where I am really anxious about going back to uni and feel really sick about the choices I need to make.
    It was mentioned to me that I could suspend my studies and pick these back up at this point next year, but my issues are that I wouldn't be able to get more loan to pay for accommodation and living expenses etc. and I worry whether I could make a year out really count/improve my mental health (or whether it would worsen because I wouldn't be studying/being productive).
    I was wondering if you could all tell me your experiences with suspended your studies (whether you felt this benefited you or not). Also, if any one has been in the same position as me and knows what the bank will do regarding the loan I'd appreciate your advice.

Sorry for the ramble. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I took two years out from my undergrad degree because of depression, feel free to ask me anything you like.

For me keeping going at the time just wasn't a viable option, I was that ill. I took the time off, got worse (lack of motivation to get up in the morning, plus poisonous flatmates), went into hospital, got a bit better and moved in with my sister. That, along with my changed medication, made a huge difference to me. I think being around people who love and care about you unconditionally is important at a time like this. Once my first year off was up I decided I still wasn't well enough to go back, so I took another year and just spent it doing a little studying and a lot of rebuilding my strength, self-esteem and the like. Then I went back to uni part-time, and in two years I finally graduated.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.