Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you cynical of your phone/laptops's camera? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just curious. We seem to be living in an ever increasing police state due to the increasing threat of 'terrorism' according to the government. When I leave my MacBook Pro open or leave my iPhone on the desk, I always cover up the camera. I think that if not, MI5, the government or some other establishment could somehow spy on me using my own camera. I think they also read TSR too, i'm so cynical of everything! Is it this natural to be cynical?!

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    I do get a bit paranoid that I've left my cam on or something so I usually keep it covered :ninja: But not really with my phone.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You're paranoid. What on earth would the government want with you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily just the government, I remember reading a newspaper article about people from the middle east hacking cameras and using it to spy, ill see if I can find it!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so worried if you have nothing to hide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is where I read it (lol, who wears a hood online!!). Yes I know it's the DM so it is lies, but it got me thinking!

ReputationRep:
    No. Surely you should be more concerned about people hacking into your microphone? Without you specifically looking it would be almost impossible to detect that it is in on whereas for the most part, the light should come on if your web-cam is hacked.

Am I worried? No. I doubt they would get anything interesting from watching or listening to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Why are you so worried if you have nothing to hide
    Well, I was just getting changed into my Pjamas just now when I noticed the web cam and thought what if someone was spying on me, in that case I had everything to hide! That's why I posted this!

Sorry BTW if that was too much information for you...

ReputationRep:
    No, you either have the first symptoms of Paranoia or a guilty conscience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    Well, I was just getting changed into my Pjamas just now when I noticed the web cam and thought what if someone was spying on me, in that case I had everything to hide! That's why I posted this!

Sorry BTW if that was too much information for you...
    Yeah but I don't think you getting changed poses a threat to anybody do you are safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    No, you either have the first symptoms of Paranoia or a guilty conscience.
    Well i spend a lot of time reading the DM with a view of critising their argument, but perhaps I'v been taken in by this one. They too always go on about this type of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Yeah but I don't think you getting changed poses a threat to anybody do you are safe.
    Who suggested it did? I was concerned that someone could be watching me which posed a threat to me! Perhaps Apple are watching me through their products and tailoring their adverts to what I like.

ReputationRep:
    I was very concerned about people spying on me with my own phone or laptop camera at one point, until I finally got a tin foil hat to put on. That'll stop them!

Actually, if I'm ever sat alone in my room doing... certain things... :dice: to myself, then I always make sure my laptop is folded and put away. I know the risk is virtually nil but I just feel uneasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    Well i spend a lot of time reading the DM with a view of critising their argument, but perhaps I'v been taken in by this one. They too always go on about this type of stuff.
    but bro…

the Daily Mail is a liar :coat:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mine is covered by a piece of cardboard sealed by sellotape. I'm also quite disturbed by those rumours of spy apps that can be be downloaded onto your phone from another phone without your knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    My phone camera is of such a poor standard all the government would see is a cluster of pixels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    I keep my web-cam covered with a piece of paper tape when I'm not using it.
    I don't think it's paranoid: you wouldn't let someone just stare through the window at you whenever they felt like it, so why leave a hackable camera up?
    Now if only I could find a way of muffling the microphone...

ReputationRep:
    LOL no. But that's just me.
    To be honest, anyone spying on me through my laptop webcam, is hardly going to see anything interesting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.