Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've applied at Anglia Ruskin University to do English Literature and wanted to know who else is going there ������

Do you guys know anything about the place, itself?

What is the cost of living like?

How about the nightlight?

Is the accommodation expensive? I'll be at the Cambridge Campus, if I decide to go.

Thanks ✌️

ReputationRep:
    I have also applied for this uni at Cambridge campus so also waiting for the replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What subject are you going to be doing?

ReputationRep:
    Public services

ReputationRep:
    What do you know about Anglia?

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think I know as much as you.. friend of mine has said it is a good uni to go to so I've applied

ReputationRep:
    I started at ARU in 2013 studying lit however left due to medical reasons after a few weeks. The tutors were all really nice and approachable.

Cambridge itself is a lovely place to live (you may want to bring a bike!) the nightlife is pretty good and in the few short weeks I was there I didn't feel uncomfortable in that aspect.

However my accommodation was horrendous. I was in peter taylor, the day I moved in I went to look around my kitchen and was faced with mould, rotting food, dead bugs everywhere. It was filthy and disgusting. I went to the accommodation office to report it and was ignored (three times!!) I was told it was because of foreign students who stayed there over summer and that I'd have to clean it up. They were extremely unhelpful.

In the end a complaint to the actual uni did the trick. A team of cleaners were sent in who got rid of most of the grime. I have to point out though that although mine wasn't the only floor faced with a filthy kitchen many were reasonably clean. I also know of many people who enjoyed their time in PT, I think it just depends on what conditions you can put up with - although no sane person would have stayed in my kitchen! The en suite is a wet room, and guess what? More mould. Luckily I brought my own shower curtain because the one in there was brown and green. Again some peoples bathrooms were fine with no mould but a few others I know we're pretty gross again.

You could survive in PT but I would never ever go back given a choice, it was the worst start to university they could have given me.

I'm not sure about other halls, Anastasia house looks a bit scary but CB1 is nice (private I think) but it's by the station which is a bit of a treck. I would advise looking very closely at all accommodation you can and not just the parts they have cleaned up for an open day! The only plus side of peter taylor was how close it is the the uni (it's on campus) and the amount of people you will meet, all the rooms are on one huge corridor so if you don't get on with your kitchen you'll definitely find friends elsewhere!

I hope this helps!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    P.s I think I payed £120 a week and that's because it's en suite, I think others are cheaper but you share bathrooms

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How was the lit course for you? 😊

ReputationRep:
    From the amount I studied it was good! And the tutors are all lovely, there was a really lovely lady who did the literature seminars, she was doing a study on Beowulf and that was interesting! Unfortunately I wasn't there for long enough to get a real feel for it but what I did study was interesting. The only boring part was one lecturer who did ancient literature (I think- I can't remember exactly) but you can't have everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, that sounds good! How was freshers? Did you have loads of lectures? How many days off did you have? Thank you 😊

ReputationRep:
    Freshers was good! I don't know if it's the still the same but you could buy different wristbands depending on how many events you wanted to go to. There was a superhero night, geek chic, hot tub party which was apparently a bit gross! It's not London obviously but it's not bad, there are only a handful of clubs and it depends really what you prefer, there are some nice bars around too for a more chilled evening!

I didn't have a really full timetable I think I had two days off and the weekend but on one day I had a six pm lecture which was the only one all day. There was definitely enough time to do everything else you want to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaydan)
    Hello,

I've applied at Anglia Ruskin University to do English Literature and wanted to know who else is going there ������

Do you guys know anything about the place, itself?

What is the cost of living like?

How about the nightlight?

Is the accommodation expensive? I'll be at the Cambridge Campus, if I decide to go.

Thanks ✌️
    Hi, I've applied for English Literature also I went on an open day there in mid November and it seemed nice, friendly people etc. My boyfriend is at Cambridge University so I have stayed in the city a few times, not entirely sure about the cost of living...but the nightlife seems decent enough with a few clubs.

The cost of accommodation does seem relatively expensive in comparison to other universities, but some are new developments and others are city centre (or very close) so it's reasonable in that sense I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds good, I guess. I can't wait to go and start the course 😊 Btw, how many ucas points are they asking for? Originally, when I applied they we're accepting people with 220, but now it's 240, right? I'm doing two A-levels, thus it's going to be a bit harder for me to get it. Do you think they would accept me with 220? 😥

ReputationRep:
    My offer isn't points based because I've already done my A levels, but on the website it says 200 UCAS points, including English Lit at grade C. I thought it was around 220, but perhaps not!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for psychology and criminology in September 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else applied for music?

ReputationRep:
    Does Peter Taylor House have wifi?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i m an international student, done alevels with grades DDE in maths chemistry and physics.
    Do u think i have a chance of being accepted at ARU's civil engineering bsc course?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all I'm off to the uni in September in Cambridge to study drama Ive got my accommodation offer and I'll be living in cb1... That's reasonable for the price you pay I'd reccommend cb1 to anyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.