Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness he got reinstated!!

An autistic student, previously expelled from his college for mistakenly hugging a stranger, has been reinstated.

Brian Ferguson, a 20-year-old with autism attending special-needs classes at Navarro College in Texas, had been expelled for sexual assault. But what he did that constitutes sexual assault will leave you scratching your head.

Ferguson is 6’5” and gives hugs to his friends with a kiss on the top of their head since he towers over them. A week ago, that got him expelled. The problem arose when Ferguson thought he saw a woman he recognized and gave her one of his trademark greetings — except that the woman was a stranger.

"And then [the school] labeled it 'sexual assault' because of the kissing,” Ferguson’s mother, Staci Martin, told NBC. “They said a kiss is considered an assault."
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/we...rticle/2558795

Accidentally kissing someone you thought you knew is not sexually assault. I'm sure he even apologised for what he did and felt embarrassed himself and I can't believe he had to go through all that nonsense of being expelled then reinstated.

Hopefully nothing absurd as this will happen in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    feminism's gone crazy, I tell ya - feminism and its advocacy of women to become easily offended at everything

ReputationRep:
    you cant blame feminism on this tbh.
    Anyway what is autism?
    do people who have it do things like this all the time?

ReputationRep:
    Why is the word assault now used to describe a harmless action that may make somebody feel mildly uncomfortable? Assault used to mean you were attacking somebody or something in a malicious manner. Did you just brush past me on the train? You assaulted me! Ugh...

The victim (because he is the victim here) being reinstated is good, but it doesn't change the fact he was actually expelled. This stuff is getting out of hand.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.