Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#ThisGirlCan: new body-positive exercise campaign targeting women Watch

ReputationRep:
    The new Sport England campaign #ThisGirlCan launched this week, aiming to tackle the issue that there are 2m less active women than men in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...n-9981166.html

The campaign focuses on how exercise isn't merely a method of achieving a specific body type, but is something women can partake in for fun and fitness - regardless of age or size.

What do you think of this campaign? Does it pull off the body-positive message? Or could it be regarded as patronising?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Really enjoyed the video and thought it was very positive! I especially love the article talking about how we should be focusing on exercise for the sake of physical and mental health, and fitness, as opposed to for physical appearance: a lot of times you spend browsing this forum you see a disproportionally high amount of girls wanting to get into fitness to "tone down my tummy" or "get more toned arms" or "thinner thighs" - it's rarely about health and fitness. And it's the same for guys. Everybody wants bigger arms, a bigger chest, and abs: health and fitness is a secondary goal, when it should really be the most important one.

I think it's especially relevant for the people on this forum! School and university are a great time to get into sport and exercise, and I don't think you'll ever be presented with greater opportunity in your life than now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    a lot of times you spend browsing this forum you see a disproportionally high amount of girls wanting to get into fitness to "tone down my tummy" or "get more toned arms" or "thinner thighs" - it's rarely about health and fitness.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Almost everyone i know joins the gym or does exercise for purely aesthetic reasons. Exercise is so important for a healthy body and a healthy mind, but 'thin' doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Health is not a body shape.
    Also i love the captions - 'sweating like a pig, feeling like a fox'. I think it's hilarious - really encapsulates most of what i am feeling when on the dance floor.

ReputationRep:
    This is awesome though.

ReputationRep:
    Superb.

We still need more public awareness campaigns regarding gym culture i.e. gyms are not just for those aesthetic-focused. The amount of people who think you don't need to do resistance training to keep healthy and fit is staggering. Inb4 osteoporosis

that being said cardio's better than nowt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    We still need more public awareness campaigns regarding gym culture i.e. gyms are not just for those aesthetic-focused.
    In regards to aesthetically focused gym culture, i also find it ridiculous how many people i know avoid going to the gym because they are self-conscious about how they look. another reason this campaign is great, showing that you don't look polished whilst working out. you look sweaty and gross and it's brilliant.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Condog10)
    In regards to aesthetically focused gym culture, i also find it ridiculous how many people i know avoid going to the gym because they are self-conscious about how they look. another reason this campaign is great, showing that you don't look polished whilst working out. you look sweaty and gross and it's brilliant.
    Speak for yourself! :cool:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I love it so much! Here it is for those who haven't seen it.

I'm a size 14 so not exactly your typical sporty size but I row for my college and I love it because it's a great chance to do something other than essays at uni, plus the friendships you make are great, we have such good chats!! I'm not the fittest person, and I'm not the strongest person, and I'm far from the skinniest person...but so often in sport it's about a mental attitude, a determination to go out there and do your best, and I know that during each outing and every race I will put my all into every single stroke because me and the girls support each other and together we are one. I know that sounds cheesy but it's true! Until a year ago I did no sport, then got into it to help my mental health and it really has helped me manage my depression so much, plus it gives me a positive way to escape from everyday stresses. I don't look attractive when I row, I'm red faced, sweaty, and normally get a double chin at backstops, but I am a beautiful rower and I love it.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. We need to tackle the cultural deficiencies which have been aloud to develop in this country, not valuing health and fitness being one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Good campaign.

Speak for yourself! :cool:

It's easy to look polished when lifting the weights you lift though.

Jk, get over here bro...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Good campaign.

It's easy to look polished when lifting the weights you lift though.

Jk, get over here bro...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think the media image of all men as bulky with abs leads to so much body image problems in men as well.

I know several people that lift either partly or completely due to severe body dysmorphia.

It sucks for both sexes. Women probably do have more pressure to not look messy during the workout though. Especially with the girls who come to the gym with makeup on, so barely anything and take selfie and go home. Setting unrealistic at the gym standards for everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Havent been into town recently, but went to day and through the see of Turkish delight and other delights I ate, I was impressed by how well promoted the campaign is. I hope it's being promoted on tv or similar as I don't think many people know what it is tbh.

Tbh I think the media image of all men as bulky with abs leads to so much body image problems in men as well.

I know several people that lift either partly or completely due to severe body dysmorphia.

It sucks for both sexes. Women probably do have more pressure to not look messy during the workout though. Especially with the girls who come to the gym with makeup on, so barely anything and take selfie and go home. Setting unrealistic at the gym standards for everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    90% of my girls in my gym

And tbh going to the gym/ exercising is an exercise in body dysmorphia control. I am forever small lol.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I really love the campaign! Anything that encourages people (not just women) to take part in exercise is great!

I stumbled across this awesome article the other day in which it shows photographs of many different professional women athletes and it's incredible to see the range of body types - just goes to show that there isn't a perfect body shape and for each sport everyone is different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJ)
    I stumbled across this awesome article the other day in which it shows photographs of many different professional women athletes and it's incredible to see the range of body types - just goes to show that there isn't a perfect body shape and for each sport everyone is different!
    Those pictures are really amazing! I love the diversity of body shape - especially since they are all in their physical prime! Really shows how homogeneous the media's depiction of female bodies is....

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the expectations of men are actually much higher than women now. Within reason, most women would be able to achieve their 'dream bodies' inside of a year with a decent diet and a mediocre work out plan.

That **** just ain't happening with a guy. Couple that with the almost total absence of body image campaigns aimed at men (feminism = egalitarianism my ass) and the way mainstream media is currently going with skinny shaming and encouraging, frankly, being overweight for women a lot of men I know suffer with body image compared to my female friends.

That said, I think I look like **** but I'm still in far better shape than the majority of men my age. It's also much easier for a guy to look alright in a shirt/Tee/polo than a slightly chubby woman because of differences in fat stores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    #LiftLikeAGirl - another one along these lines. Lifting heavyass weight isn't just for men!

ReputationRep:
    #LiftLikeAGirl - another one along these lines. Lifting heavyass weight isn't just for men!

Did you just steal that from my thread?

And not link to my thread...

You...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3124523

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Did you just steal that from my thread?

And not link to my thread...

You...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3124523

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oops...I actually saw it on Reddit.

Dem timestamps

ReputationRep:
    Oops...I actually saw it on Reddit.

Dem timestamps
    :ninja: Same.

I was just slightly faster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.