Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I recently confirmed a job offer for a trainee paralegal after around a year of unrelated temping etc.

The firm covers Scottish & English jurisdiction; and I'm wondering if there is any books in existence I can dip into before I start/throughout work. Maybe guides to paralegal work or training?

Any recommendations out there?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Your desire to 'read up' on the role of a paralegal shows the disconnect between academic study and working in practice. I am not aware of any sort of relevant reading specifically aimed at paralegals, but even if such a book did exist I wouldn't recommend actually reading it. As a paralegal you will almost by definition by assisting other fee earners and therefore being told what to do much of the time. It is the classic example of a job that you will learn by doing it, and therefore it's not really something that you can prepare for by reading about it, as terrifying as I appreciate that will sound.

If you really do want to read up on something I would look at the rules of whatever litigation you will be dealing with. If you're going to be working in personal injury, for example, you could read up on the civil procedure rules. But really the most valuable thing that you can take with you into your new job is the realisation that you will likely be out of your depth when your start, and a willingness to work hard and learn. It will be daunting in all likelihood, but if you work hard enough you'll get there.

Good luck.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Have you already got a degree in Law? Not all of them do. If you don't and want to enter the profession, think about doing a part time GDL or something?

Best thing to look at, I imagine, would be things to do with the Civil courts and civil proceedings. Read Law Weekly and the FT to keep up to date with recent matters, your local/regional Law Society would be a good source of information - see if you can join them (it's usually free). You'll pick up more than you could imagine just by doing the job!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. It sounds like you must be a law grad?

In which case, they surely will not expect you to know all that much about the procedural stuff and you will pick it up/they will tell you.

Your firm will use precedents - so, if asked to do something, find out what another one, the same thing, looked like.

I agree with the above poster; you don't say what area of law it is, but the likely thing will be litigation and rules. So, check out the rules according to time management what you are supposed to when etc. Civil Procedure Rules for example - if you look now at the pre-action protocols - it should give you some sort of an idea of the kind of thing.

I don't actually think you should worry too much - they will have employed you knowing exactly what you know and don't know even though you won't appreciate this!!

(Original post by rchl_m)
    Hello,

I recently confirmed a job offer for a trainee paralegal after around a year of unrelated temping etc.

The firm covers Scottish & English jurisdiction; and I'm wondering if there is any books in existence I can dip into before I start/throughout work. Maybe guides to paralegal work or training?

Any recommendations out there?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that sounded awfully vague! Other thing you could do if you want, although I don't think you need to, is get hold of one of the LPC subject area teaching books in your area - reading through it will familiarise you with some of the common terminology and procedures you will be coming across - you will be ok

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.