Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Currently training to be an electrical engineer at a large company. I am an apprentice, 19 years old. Currently on 20k per year, will raise slowly to 40k per year but then after that only rise with inflation. I hope to be on 40k by about 28/29

there are no means of progression in this company and to be honest I do not enjoy engineering, I just started for the money.

I am currently considering whether or not to go back to education. I currently study a HNC in engineering. I want to leave my job and go back to do an access course and get on a business/entrepreneurship degree at a good university. I have really good GCSE's and went to a good grammar school so feel I am capable of doing this. The reason I want to go to university is because I want a professional job where I can wear a suit and tie. I want to earn lots of money, make lots of friends and have good networking potential. I also feel that I am missing out on being young by not being at university. I don't get the options to go out partying and enjoy myself like my friends at uni

Only problem being I would be walking away from a future 40k per year job (which I don't enjoy) and I will have to work rubbish part time jobs during my access course as there is no funding available for access students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewif002)
    The reason I want to go to university is because I want a professional job where I can wear a suit and tie. I want to earn lots of money, make lots of friends and have good networking potential.
    I spent 20+ years in a job like that. I wore smart clothes. I earned a lot of money. I hated every minute of it. My brother's a plumber and he's always earned more than me. Lives in a big house in a nice area of town, where I could never afford anything more than a flat in a crummy area.

Please don't overestimate how great it is to wear business clothes and work in an office. You largely end up having to be polite to layers of management who are a bunch of complete ****ers. I have maybe one or two people I stay in contact with from my two decade career, and that's really just to swap cards at Christmas. Work is not a great place to make friends, but depending on where you end up, it may be a good place to make acquaintances and network (although I suspect those will largely depend on the type of person you are).

I left my job to go to uni. It was a huge relief and I never plan on going back, even if I have to stack shelves for the rest of my working life.

I also feel that I am missing out on being young by not being at university. I don't get the options to go out partying and enjoy myself like my friends at uni
    If you want to go out on the lash for three years, then uni would certainly be a good alternative to your job. But is it worth getting into £50,000+ of debt over?

Only problem being I would be walking away from a future 40k per year job (which I don't enjoy)
    Bear in mind that these days, a degree is a pretty common qualification. It isn't much of a differentiator and won't guarantee that you will end up in any kind of well-paid job. At the moment, you seem to be looking at a good wage long-term, which you couldn't be sure you would ever get back to after uni.

and I will have to work rubbish part time jobs during my access course as there is no funding available for access students.
    It's a means to an end for a year. Access courses combined with working are very time-consuming. You're right that it won't be the most fun you've ever had for a year. However, that's what you'll need to do to get into uni. If you aren't prepared to do that to get the Access qualification, then you probably don't want uni that badly.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant reply and some great reference points to your own life in there. I'm still no closer to making a decision as I am in a very tricky situation, as you can see.

Thanks a lot for your answer, I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to that. If I remember I will get back to you later in the year to let you know my decision. Thanks again. +++

ReputationRep:
    £20k is chicken change.

Go to university, have fun and study hard. Depends which university you get into though. Top ones open doors in the city for Finance jobs regardless of the course* where you get real money, that £20k would be your bonus on top of a £40k salary in your first years and of course will go up to 100k+ in around 5-7 years if that.

Basically saying, do not hold back because of the prospect of earning £40k in the distant future and better yourself with education whilst living a little with the university experience.

*Course must be at least ABB+, pref AAB+ requirement aka no Gender Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Currently training to be an electrical engineer at a large company. I am an apprentice, 19 years old. Currently on 20k per year, will raise slowly to 40k per year but then after that only rise with inflation. I hope to be on 40k by about 28/29

there are no means of progression in this company and to be honest I do not enjoy engineering, I just started for the money.

I am currently considering whether or not to go back to education. I currently study a HNC in engineering. I want to leave my job and go back to do an access course and get on a business/entrepreneurship degree at a good university. I have really good GCSE's and went to a good grammar school so feel I am capable of doing this. The reason I want to go to university is because I want a professional job where I can wear a suit and tie. I want to earn lots of money, make lots of friends and have good networking potential. I also feel that I am missing out on being young by not being at university. I don't get the options to go out partying and enjoy myself like my friends at uni

Only problem being I would be walking away from a future 40k per year job (which I don't enjoy) and I will have to work rubbish part time jobs during my access course as there is no funding available for access students.
    Do you with your family, or are you renting a room by yourself? Why is money so important?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think you'll find your work increasingly awful if you already dislike it now at 19? I know I wouldn't stay in a job I really didn't enjoy just to potentially earn £40k a year one day.

You obviously need to make sure that you really do want to go to uni and feel passionate about the subject you choose before you change your entire life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    £20k is chicken change.

Go to university, have fun and study hard. Depends which university you get into though. Top ones open doors in the city for Finance jobs regardless of the course* where you get real money, that £20k would be your bonus on top of a £40k salary in your first years and of course will go up to 100k+ in around 5-7 years if that.

Basically saying, do not hold back because of the prospect of earning £40k in the distant future and better yourself with education whilst living a little with the university experience.

Oh please tell me for your own sake that you' re being sarcastic here because say, less than 5% of graduates get something as ridiculous as that. Too many undergrads like to live in fantasy land.

ReputationRep:

Most people graduating today won't make 40K imo. Experience > qualification

You can always go to uni. You won't get a job whenever you want. My advice: only go to uni if you get sacked.

ReputationRep:
    £20k is chicken change.

We are talking about the real world not about fantasyland. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    £20k is chicken change.

What courses?

ReputationRep:
    You'll be lucky to make 20k after graduating. Stick to the job for the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember everything is risk vs reward. If you stay on your job and regret that choice all your life, then there is no point sticking with it. Even if you end up worse after Uni, at least you would have tried and will still have had the uni experience . However, remember that it is sometimes better to have a decent paying job that you hate but you can then use the money to do things you enjoy... Holidays, gadgets, cars whatever. Life isn't perfect and how much money you earn is not always the door to happiness. You could go to Uni, end up doing a 25k job per year all your life and still be happier then you would have been if you continued with your apprenticeship. The opposite can also be true though...

ReputationRep:
    There's no absolute right answer to this. Both choices have their pros and cons. I'd suggest comparing it on the basis of what you would be giving up, as opposed to what you might be giving up, to go to uni. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your employment arrangements, but from my experience, just because in your field you can earn £40K, it doesn't mean that you will. You also mentioned that there is little means of progression in your company, which makes me further question how it is that you would arrive at this £40K salary anyway. Doubling your salary just through natural/cost-of-living rises is unlikely; it's probably going to be through some type of formal promotion, which you'll have to work beyond the minimum for - and this will be difficult if you're not really enjoying the job.

Another money factor you need to consider is, irrespective of whether you stick to engineering or switch to another field, any job that pays £40K+ a year will demand a fairly big commitment from you; the effort expected will rise in line with the salary. So you can't assume that just continuing in your current mindset will, simply through the passage of time, get you to that £40K.

On the positive side, if you don't have debts or any other significant commitments holding you back, given you're so young, why stay stuck in something you don't enjoy? You're in an ideal position to make a change. However, I'd suggest you also think deeply about why you want to study business. No point swapping your paying job for a debt-incurring route into something you might not like any better.

I think going to uni and changing direction can be a very positive thing, as long as it's motivated by solid reasons. Imo, to get into a job where you'll need to wear smart clothing definitely doesn't qualify, and more money isn't a strong enough factor either. You need to think about what you'd really like to spend the next few years studying, and how that relates to what you'd like to spend the subsequent years doing all day for work.

ReputationRep:
    £20k is chicken change.

You're clearly talking about working in front office investment banking, which actually tends to have a starting salary of £45k. This is a competitive route and as someone who did an internship in IBD, the hours can be long (average 70 - 80+ a week but up to 120 on occasions) and the lifestyle isn't for everyone.

@OP: If you don't enjoy your job, you should definitely consider going to university. However, I would do some research into what sort of career you want after uni and whether that would better fulfil your needs because, to be honest, most graduate jobs are pretty boring and mundane.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think £20k at the age of 19 and £40k later on is very good. It is up to you though you know your life and the company you work for better. Have a good think about what career you want to aim for. I know plenty of people that have done business related degrees and have struggled with finding work and many in work have found jobs in sales and are earning similarly to what you are on now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Please don't overestimate how great it is to wear business clothes and work in an office. You largely end up having to be polite to layers of management who are a bunch of complete ****ers.
    This. Every. Single. Time! :/ they always think they are better than the rest of us.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why not stick it out while you finish your HNC. That way you won't have to do an access course and will be being paid while you do it. Or how about asking your company whether they would consider sponsoring you to do a business related degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'm working for a big company, doing a demanding job and I'm earning a pittance for long hours (£21k, I'm 27 years old!). I am just about able to cover my outgoings, but nothing is left over and I hate the job. I hate it to the point that I've not been there since 23rd December (signed off sick, mind you). During this time I realised, if I'm lucky, I might one day be able to make £30k p/a in my current position of someone without very many qualifications.

Flip side of that, it will take three years to get the degree, and then I will likely end up doing another year (NCTJ Diploma, I'm going to be studying journalism) so that means I'll be 32 when I finish my education. Then, I will probably have to do a low paid internship to begin with. And only THEN will I MAYBE be back on the £21k p/a salary I'm on now, but four years later. However, I'll have a lot more prospects to go ahead and earn a lot more than £30k in the long run.

So I guess what I'm saying is, there is no right answer here. It's all down to what you think will fulfill you whilst also keeping you in the black. Money isn't everything, but it's very, very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Money is great and all but don't fall into a trap of a job you hate, simply for the cash.

You spend most of your life working, at least do something that isn't sapping the **** out of your soul.

ReputationRep:
    Mate listen here if you dont go to university as young as you are you are going to regret it for the rest of your life. I never understand why someone would go to work straight out of high school and never go to university! That's like the worst biggest decision of a lifetime.

The social life is ****ing awesome you could know hundreds and hundreds of people

The party life wooaah thats another story while you are still from 18 t0 25. University parties are the ONE you could never want to miss in your lifetime

Having fun with friends ON and OF lecture rooms. If you are going to go to uni make sure you meet crazy friends! I mean crazy friends! I was an introvert through out my life but last year I met crazy 3 friends who made me crazy too! When I mean crazy I mean we did crazy things like breaking the schools ceiling board, blowing the gas tank and going into the girls toilet and kiss! We did all these things while making videos. Il have tye the videos until I die (as long as you look good they wont think you crazy)

I had 4 girlfriends in the space of 11 months.

man I cannot emphasis more! University is something you have to experience in your life. Even if I was to be given billions I would still you go university! !! And I would graduate when im 25+

If can. Go to the best one too.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.