Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL: If you could turn back time, would you still go to university or would you go i watch

• View Poll Results: University or apprenticeship?
    University. Take the debt on the chin and get the degree with no certainty of a job but great prospects.
    100.00%
    Apprenticeship. Get a job and in to the real world, earn some money asap but not as great prospects and no university experience.
    0%

ReputationRep:
    You are 16. You have just finished GCSE's. You can study A-Levels and go to university... Or you can get an apprenticeship in a job sector (which may not be your ultimate favourite sector, but it's still a job and money with a sliding pay scale)

What do you do? Take the time doing A-levels and the debt for the experience of university and a degree? No guarantee of a good grade or job when older

Or

Do you go into employment? Getting paid approx £13,000 for a mon-fri job with job security and potential to earn up to 40k when older

???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewif002)
    You are 16. You have just finished GCSE's. You can study A-Levels and go to university... Or you can get an apprenticeship in a job sector (which may not be your ultimate favourite sector, but it's still a job and money with a sliding pay scale)

What do you do? Take the time doing A-levels and the debt for the experience of university and a degree? No guarantee of a good grade or job when older

Or

Do you go into employment? Getting paid approx £13,000 for a mon-fri job with job security and potential to earn up to 40k when older

???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    School age apprenticeships are still quite limited, the only type that would have appealed to me was an administration apprenticeship.

But to expand..

What i did

Worked part/full time jobs in retail and bars from 16-21 and frankly partied
    Access course then university graduating at 26 (this summer) with a BA

What i would have done in hindsight

Age 16-18: Worked full time in accountancy, administration or customer service
    Age 19: Access to Higher Education Course
    Age 20: Work abroad scheme in Australia or Canada or the US for 12 months
    Age 21: Do BA degree with sandwich year
    Age 24: Do Msc
    Age 25: Graduate

So basically i still would have been in no rush (i think far too many are) but i would have made sure i had more varied and useful experience.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.