The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try OCR site
Reply 2
Sorry, i should have said.

I want the latest papers not the Specimen.

E.g. June 2002 onwards...if that helps
Reply 3
i dont think the website has any. your best bet is at school.
Reply 4
Yeh i got a few at my school but i really wanted the June2003 paper (the one i took for real last time)
I tried to get some independently, it's too hard and too expensive. Just lobby your physics department. That didn't work for me though, so I took them myself.

I got 105/110 for UP. Make sure you memorise answers for Section C and plenty of practice for A and B. Then you will be able to get a good score without too much hassle.
Reply 6
tomhitchings
I tried to get some independently, it's too hard and too expensive. Just lobby your physics department. That didn't work for me though, so I took them myself.

I got 105/110 for UP. Make sure you memorise answers for Section C and plenty of practice for A and B. Then you will be able to get a good score without too much hassle.

Yeh - could u tell me where u got them from? i really want that one paper inparticular.
Reply 7
chud
Yeh - could u tell me where u got them from? i really want that one paper inparticular.

i think he means that the school wouldn't officially give him copies, but some how he managed to "borrow" one without people noticing.

If your school really refuses to give them to you (dont know why they would try and stop you from revisin though!) then I'm afriad you have no choice but to buy them through your examining board yourself.
tomhitchings

What is da best way to revise for section c
section c is all about memorising stuff... but does anyone have a model answer to a photoelectric effect question? or just an answer that they gave that scored full marks?
i really struggle with that question and i dont know why because i fully understand the physics behind it :frown:
thanks
Reply 10
ForbiddenThough
section c is all about memorising stuff... but does anyone have a model answer to a photoelectric effect question? or just an answer that they gave that scored full marks?
i really struggle with that question and i dont know why because i fully understand the physics behind it :frown:
thanks

What don't you understand about the photoelectric effect?
like i say, i understand the physics behind it, its just in the context of the exam paper i dont understand what to write. the question is always about "quantum phenomena" in general, and the photoelectric effect seems to be always suited to the question however they phrase it. I really need someone who's doing advancing physics to show me a model answer! :smile:
ForbiddenThough
like i say, i understand the physics behind it, its just in the context of the exam paper i dont understand what to write. the question is always about "quantum phenomena" in general, and the photoelectric effect seems to be always suited to the question however they phrase it. I really need someone who's doing advancing physics to show me a model answer! :smile:

Below are the Q's and answers as given by my physics teacher so they shud be a model answers:

a) state the qauantum phenomenon you have chosen. (1)

ANS: The photoelectric effect

b) Show with the aid of a labelled diagram the arrangement od the apparatus that could be used ti observe this quantum phenomenon.(4)

ANS: Loom at the first diagram on this webpage. It is similar to the one i have got. http://www.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/photoelectric_effect.html Label the negative plate with electrons repelled and the emitter plate with METAL E.G. ZINC. Obviously you will have the symbols for the components instaed of the diagrams they have used on the webpage.

c) Describe what can be observed (4)

ANS: When light is shown a current flows
When brighter light is used no current flows
Lower the frequency of the light or larger the wavelength no current flows however bright the light is.

You keep on increasing v (speed) until no curret flows
Then repeat with a different frequency.

d) Write a detailed explanation of the observations toy have described using you knowledge of the phyics of the quantum behaviour (4)

Light arrives in photons which are little packets of energy.
Each photon has energy=hf
Each photon is given to one electron on the plate
Brighter light= more photons per second therfore more electrons emitted
If frequency is too low photns cannot release an electron (as they have lower energy)

I hope the above helps. If you dont undersatnd the photoelectric effect jst learn it. thers no point trying to understand it now as the exam is on Monday. Oh yeh if you wanna the above question is question 11) from the June 2003 paper.
Reply 13
Haha i got 105 as well! must be a standard mark!

I got 87/100 in the first module..... taking a resit of it on monday..... and im not sure why....
Thats brilliant, thanks very much. If only OCR published decent mark schemes then i'd have been fine! I just don't always know what kind of responses they were after. What you've posted is a great help, thanks.
ForbiddenThough
Thats brilliant, thanks very much. If only OCR published decent mark schemes then i'd have been fine! I just don't always know what kind of responses they were after. What you've posted is a great help, thanks.

I know. They shud be like AQA and realease the papers and mark schemes on the web.

Its just a way of making more money by selling the papers and they have now published a revision CD with some questions and answers. Its pure GREED.
yeah i totally agree.
the course CD and the revision CD are both really expensive too. only a couple of people in our set bought the CD... and then kindly distributed it around. I know its legally wrong but I think that OCR shouldnt be trying to make so much money out of students!
Reply 17
For this exam do we need to know abt the SEM and AFM microscopes? Coz i know them kinda coz theyre in the textbook but i cant find them on the syllabus? Can ne1 help please
meawinner
For this exam do we need to know abt the SEM and AFM microscopes? Coz i know them kinda coz theyre in the textbook but i cant find them on the syllabus? Can ne1 help please

is that in chapter 1? If yes our teacher has told us to revise ONE application of image formation for section c. I am just gonna do ultrasound
Reply 19
Has anyone done the Section C's?

You need to know 5:

-Photoelectric effect
-Young's slits
-Measuring a remote object

- measuring accerlation
- standing waves

Has anyone got decent notes they want to share on the latter 2? I've learnt the other 3.

Thanks!

Latest