Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got this question and I keep jumping between different answers:

I pretty sure the LHS molecule for the first part is not conjugated, due to that isolating sp3 carbon. And RHS is also not conjugated due to no free 2p orbitals or so?

For the second part: I am think the middle two molecules are both aromatic due to 6pi electrons and cont conjugation? The LHS molecule im not sure about and the RHS molecule I believe in anti-aromatic?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam_Chem)
    I've got this question and I keep jumping between different answers:

I pretty sure the LHS molecule for the first part is not conjugated, due to that isolating sp3 carbon. And RHS is also not conjugated due to no free 2p orbitals or so?

For the second part: I am think the middle two molecules are both aromatic due to 6pi electrons and cont conjugation? The LHS molecule im not sure about and the RHS molecule I believe in anti-aromatic?

Thanks!
    Right Q 1, the diene isn;t conjugated, the double bonds need to be one bond apart. Should make sense if you draw out the orbitals.

2nd is conjugated, same as if the triple bond was a double

3rd - somewhat educated guess as I haven't ever actually had to look at an allene in this way before. I would say it probably is.... go look it up!

Q2 - just plug in aromaticity rules - you can immediately rule out non-cylic molecules.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_...Cckel%27s_Rule

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.