Conjugated/Aromatic/Anti-Aromatic Help!

Watch
Sam_Chem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've got this question and I keep jumping between different answers:

I pretty sure the LHS molecule for the first part is not conjugated, due to that isolating sp3 carbon. And RHS is also not conjugated due to no free 2p orbitals or so?

For the second part: I am think the middle two molecules are both aromatic due to 6pi electrons and cont conjugation? The LHS molecule im not sure about and the RHS molecule I believe in anti-aromatic?

Thanks!
Attached files
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sam_Chem)
I've got this question and I keep jumping between different answers:

I pretty sure the LHS molecule for the first part is not conjugated, due to that isolating sp3 carbon. And RHS is also not conjugated due to no free 2p orbitals or so?

For the second part: I am think the middle two molecules are both aromatic due to 6pi electrons and cont conjugation? The LHS molecule im not sure about and the RHS molecule I believe in anti-aromatic?

Thanks!
Right Q 1, the diene isn;t conjugated, the double bonds need to be one bond apart. Should make sense if you draw out the orbitals.

2nd is conjugated, same as if the triple bond was a double

3rd - somewhat educated guess as I haven't ever actually had to look at an allene in this way before. I would say it probably is.... go look it up!

Q2 - just plug in aromaticity rules - you can immediately rule out non-cylic molecules.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_...Cckel%27s_Rule
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (67)
27.24%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.98%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise