Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am an EU citizen residing in the UK although my parents are originally from the Dominican Republic and I've spent most of my life as an expatriate in the UAE (in Dubai to be precise). I was home-schooled due to social anxiety disorder (which I believe I am no longer affected by) but I managed to perform well in my A-levels (which I took privately) and at fifteen I entered the University of London through their International Programmes reading Economics and Politics with LSE as my leading college. After a three week stint in the French Foreign Legion (or at least attempting to enter the FFL) I began an MSc in Finance at the UoL but this time with SOAS as my leading college. Now, I've lived in London for a few years and worked as a financial analyst and started a business and would like to obtain a doctorate yet I don't know whether Oxford (or any respectable university) will want me. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Keynes)
    Well, I am an EU citizen residing in the UK although my parents are originally from the Dominican Republic and I've spent most of my life as an expatriate in the UAE (in Dubai to be precise). I was home-schooled due to social anxiety disorder (which I believe I am no longer affected by) but I managed to perform well in my A-levels (which I took privately) and at fifteen I entered the University of London through their International Programmes reading Economics and Politics with LSE as my leading college. After a three week stint in the French Foreign Legion (or at least attempting to enter the FFL) I began an MSc in Finance at the UoL but this time with SOAS as my leading college. Now, I've lived in London for a few years and worked as a financial analyst and started a business and would like to obtain a doctorate yet I don't know whether Oxford (or any respectable university) will want me. Thoughts?
    Do you have an area in mind particularly? I would suggest looking at the department's website where possible (eg http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/d...t/how-to-apply). You'd generally need a good 2i in your undergraduate studies, as well as a good score on the GMAT/ GRE if applicable.

I'm not familiar with your qualifications, but for your ease of mind, I would suggest sending the relevant department an email and asking whether you'd make a competitive application. If you have the grades though, I don't see not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    Do you have an area in mind particularly? I would suggest looking at the department's website where possible (eg http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/programmes/d...t/how-to-apply). You'd generally need a good 2i in your undergraduate studies, as well as a good score on the GMAT/ GRE if applicable.

I'm not familiar with your qualifications, but for your ease of mind, I would suggest sending the relevant department an email and asking whether you'd make a competitive application. If you have the grades though, I don't see not.
    I graduated with first-class honours so I'll just send the Department of Economics an email and see. I'm also considering sending emails to LSE, Cambridge, UCL and perhaps Imperial College.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.