Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in year 12 and have just got my mocks results back... My best subject (biology) was a C, and is nowhere near as good as I feel it should be. But that's not the problem. The problem is Maths. My C1 paper was U, still 11 marks away from E, and i'll get my S1 paper tomorrow. I already know S1 is better than C1, but i'll still be surprised if it's any higher than a D. My other paper was chemistry (D) - also not good enough. I know I can do better, and I have been revising, but I just can't pull my grades up... Are these decent grades for this stage of AS level? Am I stressing about nothing? Just want to know if I'm on course to fail... Thanks guys!

Sad to say it's not looking too good for you, unless you put in A LOT of work before the summer exams to push up your grades. The mock exams are there to show you what grades you will get if you put your current rate of effort towards your work - and to give a kick for those who aren't doing so well.

You have to bear in mind the fact that you will have other bits of your subjects to learn and memorise for the exams, so you don't have as much time as you think. Getting a U in C1 is not a good sign, as it is considered the easiest of the maths modules (C2 is a lot harder)

Having said that, do not give up! The workload for A-level is much greater than in GCSE, and I have seen a lot of students who have performed poorly in the mocks, but have gone on to get As and Bs in the summer exams, through a lot of hard work.

Remember, the number of marks between grades are not actually that many... this means there is hope!!! A small shift upwards can have a dramatic effect. You need to get strategic with your revision... Which areas do you know well/not so well? What support is available at college (e.g. asking a teacher to sit and talk you through the mock paper) etc... planning each revision session by task... (instead of writing 'maths' on a revision timetable you list exactly what you are going to do, down the the page numbers and question types), testing yourself frequently / asking your teachers to mark additional exam material that you complete at home etc...

Remember, your teachers are under pressure to help you get the best grades possible too. use that! If they see willing they are likely to support you. Be honest with them about your revision prior to the exam... did you do a lot? Was it a surprise to under perform? Or did you expect it as your work rate (then) wasn't good enough

Good luck - plenty of time if you hit the ground running NOW!
What's the best type of cheese?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.