Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have a couple of data interpretation questions for my degree and I have no idea how to approach them. I have tried having a go at them but I really don't understand what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated! x
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Data Interpretation practice 1.03 1.05.pdf (238.4 KB, 139 views)

ReputationRep:
    I'll attempt to answer this question step-wise:

1. Effect size is essentially a quantitative measure of the strength of an effect. This idea can be understood by considering effect size in terms of a standardised difference - this is the mean difference between groups in standard score form (Glass, 1976). In order to understand the role of effect size in meta-analyses, we must first understand what is meant by a "meta-analysis". Meta-analyses are essentially the study of a large volume of already published studies on a given subject. With this in mind, the standard error of effect size can be used to weight effect sizes when combining studies; in essence, large studies are considered more important than smaller studies.

2. Defining the acceptance criteria (incorporation, inclusion or exclusion) in meta-analyses is important when enabling the interpreter of the meta-analysis to understand components of the study itself, these may include subject number (n), male:female ratio, methods used, characteristics sought after, and characteristics excluded. This information can then be utilised when considering the results of the meta-analyses. For instance, the results of a meta-analysis may find the administration of drug X to be effective in reducing cardiovascular disease in a subset of 50,000 subjects. However, this meta-analysis may state exclusion criteria that excluded female subjects, and so this result cannot be extrapolated to the female population.

3. DE

4. BMI decrease stated in Table 3 is based on a very small cohort.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.