Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i want to ask for your opinions on which course i should take? I've narrowed it down to these two engineering, petroleum and mechanical. I have passion for both but its been pretty difficult to decide due to the ups and downs of the economy, my main focus now is the future, will mechanical engineering be a competitive job employment, or will there still be fuel when i finish my degree? Its best i ask now rather than later. With technology advancing pretty quick, it feels like renewable energy can just swoop in anytime and destroying jobs for those taking petroleum engineering...

Furthemore , does petroleum engineering only works in oil n gas companies? Will they be needed in any renewable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LuWee)
    Hi guys, i want to ask for your opinions on which course i should take? I've narrowed it down to these two engineering, petroleum and mechanical. I have passion for both but its been pretty difficult to decide due to the ups and downs of the economy, my main focus now is the future, will mechanical engineering be a competitive job employment, or will there still be fuel when i finish my degree? Its best i ask now rather than later. With technology advancing pretty quick, it feels like renewable energy can just swoop in anytime and destroying jobs for those taking petroleum engineering...

Furthemore , does petroleum engineering only works in oil n gas companies? Will they be needed in any renewable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Take mechanical and go into the oil industry; that's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    Petroleum would have more a scope for progression into control rooms and entering management depending on where you start.

There's a range of apprenticeships you can get in to that cover both, maybe a better option than taking an academical route into industry.

in oil and gas:

http://www.forthvalley.ac.uk/marecruitment - modern apprenticeship with disciplines including mechanical and process operations(petroleum)

http://www.opito.com/uogitt-modern-apprenticeship disciplines including mechanical and process operations again. opito also do a subsurface mechanical apprenticeship sponsored by schlumberger in aberdeen.

edf energy, eon, drax power, ineos, petrofac, ecitb are a few companies that also offer technician/engineering apprenticeships.

I was going to do HNC petroleum engineering after my NC in measurement and control, but if I can get in an apprenticeship Ill be laughing. Opito being the first choice though with some apprentices going onto 60k salaries straight after completion.

edit. The opito apprenticeship applications start on the 30th January and are only open for 2 weeks this year, theres been as many as 4000 applicants for 100 places in previous years.
    the forth valley apprenticeship closes the end of this month,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.